Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nelson Arape <na...@ica.luz.ve> on 2005/09/09 18:20:17 UTC

[m2] Multiproject directory organization on CVS

Hello to all

I have a multiproject directory organization as follows:

project
 +-core
 +-optional-plugin1
 +-optional-plugin2
 +-optional-plugin3
 +-examples-files

I originally thought that I should create all subprojects as CVS modules,
but what do I do with the project pom?.

Additionally I am also planing to use the site plugin, so should i create a
src/site on project or a site subproject instead?

Thanks in advance
Nelson Arapé

PS: sorry for my english

Re: [m2] Multiproject directory organization on CVS

Posted by Wilfred Springer <Wi...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Nelson,

Did you ever get a decent answer on your question?

I've been trying to figure out how to do this myself as well, but I
haven't really found a solution yet. Maven (m2) itself uses multiple
project files, but the Maven source code exists in a SVN repository. I
haven't actually used CVS modules yet, but if that means that I can use
a single tag in multiple modules to indicate different things, then it
sounds like a solution that might work. (But then again, it sounds like
an awful lot of work, if you need to manage project that have the size
of Maven itself.)

Thanks,

Wilfred

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 15:07, Nelson Arape wrote:
> Hi Tomas
>
> I sympathise with you, but then how do you handle this situation:
>
> project
> +-core
> +-optional-plugin1
> +-optional-plugin2
> +-optional-plugin3
> +-examples-files
>
> where project have a pom (also src/site, src/assembly, src/bin) and every
> subproject also have a pom?
>
> I would like to follow the: one POM = one package = one CVS/Eclipse module
> for the same reason you mention, but I dont know how to doit in a subproject
> (or multiproject) configuration.
>
> Cheers
> Nelson Arape
>
> Thomas Van de Velde wrote:
>
> > I always apply the following:
> >
> > one POM = one package = one CVS/Eclipse module
> >
> > There are many advantages to this aproach:
> > 1) You are not mixing libraries across modules in your Eclipse classpath
> > 2) This solution allows people to checkout only those parts on which they
> > work
> > 3) This solution scales well for very large projects
> > 4) You can use the Eclipse plugin to generate a classpath file that is
> > synchronized with the POM. This doesn't work for nested POMs.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Thomas
> >
> > On 9/13/05, Nelson Arape <na...@ica.luz.ve> wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry, I did not make may self clear. I don't have problems with How
> >> maven handles subprojects, but in how organize thos projects in a CVS
> >> repository.
> >>
> >> How I look, I have to options:
> >> 1.- Make the whole project and subprojects a module in the CVS
> >> repository. 2.- Make each subproject a distinct module in the CVS
> >> repository.
> >>
> >> I originally thought that 1 was the way to go, but then I haven't a place
> >> store the project (root) pom.xml, src/site and src/assembly files.
> >>
> >> So now I think option 2 is the way to go.
> >>
> >> Can anyone confirm, denied or expand my assumptions
> >>
> >> Nelson Arape

> >> modules,

> >> subprojects,

> >> create

Wilfred Springer                Phone  : +31 (0)3 3451 5736
Software Architect              Mobile : +31 (0)6 2295 7321
Client Solutions                Fax    : +31 (0)3 3451 5734
Enterprise Web Services         Mail   : wilfred.springer@sun.com
Sun Microsystems Netherlands    AIM    : wilfred springer
http://blogs.sun.com/wilfred/

information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original
message.

Re: [m2] Multiproject directory organization on CVS

Posted by Thomas Van de Velde <th...@accenture.com>.
My point is that projects shouldn't have "sub-poms"

Let's assume I have an application called "superbig" with 1 war for the web
view, 1 war for web services, 2 jars for POJO business services (one
containing "sell" logic and one containing "buy" logic), 1 jar for an MDB,
and an EAR to package it all together. This would be my setup:

superbig
superbig-web
superbig-ws
superbig-buy
superbig-sell
superbig-mdb
superbig-ear

Each one of the above represents an Eclipse project/CVS module; 7 in total.

"superbig" is what I consider the "master project" that holds configuration
data common to all project modules (build directory, groupId, etc.) The
groupId would be "superbig"

All of the 6 modules will extend the "master project" as follows:

<extend>../superbig/project.xml</extend>

Now to build your application as a whole, you'd run multiproject:install
from the "master project" To make that work, you'd need to set the following
in the master project's project.properties file:

maven.multiproject.basedir=${basedir}/..
maven.multiproject.includes=${pom.groupId}-*/project.xml

Hope that clarifies it a bit. I'd be interested to hear about situations
where that wouldn't work.

Cheers,
Thomas

Posted by Nelson Arape <na...@ica.luz.ve>.
Hi Tomas

Posted by Thomas Van de Velde <th...@accenture.com>.

Posted by Nelson Arape <na...@ica.luz.ve>.
Sorry, I did not make may self clear. I don't have problems with How maven
handles subprojects, but in how organize thos projects in a CVS repository.

How I look, I have to options:
1.- Make the whole project and subprojects a module in the CVS repository.
2.- Make each subproject a distinct module in the CVS repository.

I originally thought that 1 was the way to go, but then I haven't a place to

Posted by Yann Le Du <le...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Nelson,