Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Joe Gaffey <Jo...@gradient.ie> on 2001/07/31 12:27:37 UTC

problems with chmod

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this (please advise).

I am using alexandria on a medium sized java project and I think it's great.
However as it's final step it does a chmod on all the output, eg for the
javadoc html files. I am running on an SGI Irix box (not sure if this is
relevant). The chmod wouldn't work (Result: -1) and when I tried to run a
similar chmod on the command line it complained that 'Arg list too long'.  I
then modified the ant to try the chmod task with parameter
'parallel="false"' but this just gives an answer of 'Execute failed:
java.io.IOException: Too many files open'.

This would seem to be a serious drawback. Is there any tidy (or even untidy)
way to deal with this?

Has this been seen before, perhaps I'm forgetting something (I'm relatively
new to this).

Thanks,
Joe.

Joe Gaffey
Software Developer
Gradient - a Sabre Company

Ormonde House			Tel:	+ 353 1 2400 500
12 Lower Leeson Street		Fax:	+ 353 1 2400 501
Dublin 2				Email:	joe.gaffey@gradient.ie
Ireland

Web:	www.gradient.ie
	www.sabre.com

RE: problems with chmod

Posted by Joe Gaffey <Jo...@gradient.ie>.
Thanks - I will post to ant-user.

The chmod is needed as the files are not readable by 'nobody' when created.
I could break up the chmod but this is a bit of a hack that may not work
when new projects are added (ie, I don't know what the limit is or when it
would be likely to be reached).

Thanks again,
joe.

ant-user@jakarta.apache.org would be the best place.

> The chmod wouldn't work (Result: -1) and when I tried to run a
> similar chmod on the command line it complained that 'Arg list too
> long'.

Can it be broken up into several <chmod> tasks instead of a single
one?  Is the <chmod> needed at all?

Stefan

Re: problems with chmod

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.