Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ashish Kulkarni <ku...@yahoo.com> on 2004/01/07 19:17:42 UTC

reload properties file in struts with out restarting the application and more

Hi
I have a couple of question
1. If some one has written some code to relad the
properties file without reloading the application
after some text is added or modified, The reason being
i have about 10 startup servlets and takes a lot of
time to reload for a simple change.
2. Can i change the log level on the fly, same reason
dont want to restart the application, I was thinking
about calling the servlet with the log level, and
setting  it in doGet or doPost method.
3. Can i have security by pages, for example i can
define some user ids which can access some pages in
application, like admin (without programming but using
some functions provided by websphere or tomcat)

Ashish

Re: reload properties file in struts with out restarting the application and more

Posted by Manfred Wolff <ma...@manfred-wolff.de>.
Ashish.

In my opinion the webcontainer only starts, if you renew a resource,
that is placed in the classpath of the container (class, jar, property
...). Thats the functionality of hot deployment. If you place the
property file outside the classfile you can renew it. But in this case
you may noch cache the data of the file. A second solution is to disable
the reaload mechanism in the your context definition. I had yesterday
posted a snibble, to do that.

Manfred

Ashish Kulkarni wrote:

>Hi
>I have a couple of question
>1. If some one has written some code to relad the
>properties file without reloading the application
>after some text is added or modified, The reason being
>i have about 10 startup servlets and takes a lot of
>time to reload for a simple change.
>2. Can i change the log level on the fly, same reason
>dont want to restart the application, I was thinking
>about calling the servlet with the log level, and
>setting  it in doGet or doPost method.
>3. Can i have security by pages, for example i can
>define some user ids which can access some pages in
>application, like admin (without programming but using
>some functions provided by websphere or tomcat)
>
>Ashish

Dipl.-Inf. Manfred Wolff
phone neusta  : +49 421 20696-27
phone         : +49 421 534522
mobil         : +49 178 49 18 434
eFax          : +49 1212 6 626 63 965 33
Diese E-Mail enthält möglicherweise vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.