Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Robin Cassan via user <us...@flink.apache.org> on 2022/09/07 09:14:49 UTC

New licensing for Akka

Hi all!
It seems Akka have announced a licensing change
https://www.lightbend.com/blog/why-we-are-changing-the-license-for-akka
If I understand correctly, this could end-up increasing cost a lot for
companies using Flink in production. Do you know if the Flink developers
have any initial reaction as to how this could be handled (using a Fork?
moving out of akka, even though it's probably incredibly complex?)? Are we
right to assume that this license applies when using akka through Flink?

Thanks a lot!
Robin

Re: New licensing for Akka

Posted by Matthias Pohl via user <us...@flink.apache.org>.
There is some more discussion going on in the related PR [1]. Based on the
current state of the discussion, akka 2.6.20 will be the last version under
Apache 2.0 license. But, I guess, we'll have to see where this discussion
is heading considering that it's kind of fresh.

[1] https://github.com/akka/akka/pull/31561

Re: New licensing for Akka

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
We'll have to look into it.

[NOTICE] Blog post regarding Akka's licensing change

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
Hello,

You may have heard about a recent change to the licensing of Akka.
We just published a blog-post regarding this change and what it means
for Flink.

https://flink.apache.org/news/2022/09/08/akka-license-change.html

TL;DR:

Flink is not in any immediate danger and we will ensure that users are
not affected by this change.
The licensing of Flink will not change; it will stay Apache-licensed and
will only contain dependencies that are compatible with it.
We will not use Akka versions with the new license.

Regards,
Chesnay

Re: New licensing for Akka

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
That is great to hear. I have updated the blog post accordingly.

Re: New licensing for Akka

Posted by Matthias Pohl via user <us...@flink.apache.org>.

Re: New licensing for Akka

Posted by Robin Cassan via user <us...@flink.apache.org>.