Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Benjamin Lerer <be...@datastax.com> on 2020/12/09 12:10:46 UTC

Which fix version should be used for the Quality Testing tickets

Hi everybody,

Looking at the Dashboard, it seems that the *Quality Testing* tickets are
spread between the Beta and RC releases.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=355&quickFilter=1661
I assumed that those tickets were part of the Beta release but I might have
misunderstood things.

Do we want them fixed before we release 4.0-RC or are they part of the
testing of the RC release?

Re: Which fix version should be used for the Quality Testing tickets

Posted by Michael Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
Done. Thanks!

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <be...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Sam Tunnicliffe <sa...@beobal.com>.

Posted by Michael Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by David Capwell <dc...@apple.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <be...@datastax.com>.
Thank you for the feedback.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <be...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.
In my opinion...

[...]

    2.* If there are no known bugs to be fixed before release, we promote to

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> I have thought that the fix version is the version which the item will be…
fixed in… Others want the fix version to be the version which must not
start until the ticket is closed…

David, my understanding of it doesn't quite fit into this…

Issues with a fixVersion of 4.0-beta indicate they are a blocker to the
first RC release.
Issues with a fixVersion of 4.0-rc indicate they are a blocker to the GA
release.
Issues with a fixVersion of 4.0.x indicate they are not blocking GA, but
should be fixed in some subsequent patch version.
At the same time, of course no one is preventing 4.0-rc and 4.0.x issues
from going into a 4.0-betaX release.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r734c071b9f921f9e07455d4fe2262703c8f4daeddd9065a28a4cc4ed%40%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E

> If there are no known bugs to be fixed before release, we promote to RC.

It would be really helpful to elaborate on this, because there are always
known bugs in every system. And if we are then to say "blocking bugs" what
do we then mean by that? There are plenty of bugs that can be assigned
fixVersion 4.0.x

And this thinking extends to the testing epics too. There's this fuzzy line
of knowing when those epics have done enough to discover those blocking
bugs, or shall we continue with the testing epics forever to find the
non-blocking bugs…

Re: Which fix version should be used for the Quality Testing tickets

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.
I read the release lifecycle a little differently when it comes to the
quality tickets; I don't think it really speaks to those (areas without
known defects but with known skepticism about their stability). If we find
the text to be unclear or not address them we should definitely revise.
Here's what I take away from it (relevant excerpts):

Beta:
- During this phase:
-- If there are no known bugs to be fixed before release, we promote to RC.

RC:
- Definition / Expectations:
-- A release candidate build is legitimately a release candidate. The final
release will be built from the same SHA as the final release candidate.

- During this phase:
-- If no release-blocking issues are identified within a brief incubation
period, release is promoted to GA.
-- The intent of this period is to allow for the user community to fully
exercise the release and flag potential release-blocking issues.
-- If bugs are found, fixes are made and above step is repeated.

It seems our options, specifically w/regards to the "we believe we need to
test system X more" style tickets, are:
1. We should agree to block rc 1 on them being done and update the rel
lifecycle text
2. We let things go to RC but block GA on them and update the rel lifecycle
text
3. We put them in a special ongoing "best effort" bucket of "things we're
working on and will continue to work on during beta, rc, and after GA"

Not sure the right way to proceed. The testing is certainly turning up
things that need fixing, but it's also a different category afaict of
"areas we expect to find defects if we take the time to look closer".

Posted by David Capwell <dc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.