Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by yarono <ya...@il.ibm.com> on 2007/10/30 13:56:53 UTC

what is the best JVM to run derby on?

I'm interested to know if there is a prefered JVM to use in order to run
derby server?

which is the most suitable for this task?

Re: what is the best JVM to run derby on?

Posted by Thomas Nielsen <Th...@Sun.COM>.
Thomas Nielsen wrote:
> Release testing (and automated nightly testing) is currently run on all
> 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 JVMs AFAIK, given availablility.

If you are interested in detailed information on some of the many OS/JVM
combinations that were actually tested for the current 10.3.1.4 release,
please have a look at the 10.3 release page under testing:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeRelease#head-c6b20b58527b8de23f358548756f36e643da2e71

or more specifically:

    http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenThreePlatformTesting

These are only functional test results so they don't show respective
performance if that's what you are after.

HTH,
Thomas
--
Thomas Nielsen

Re: what is the best JVM to run derby on?

Posted by Thomas Nielsen <Th...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Yarono,

I don't think there's a stated preference for neither brand nor version
when it comes to the JVM.

 From what I can tell the majority of development and testing seems to
revolve around JVMs from either IBM or SUN, and all currently available
versions seems to be used.

Release testing (and automated nightly testing) is currently run on all
1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 JVMs AFAIK, given availablility.

Generally speaking newer JVMs tend be "bigger, faster, better", but your
mileage may vary :)

HTH,
Thomas