Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "KRISHNAN,PHILIP (Non-HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <dh...@non.hp.com> on 2002/08/20 23:46:21 UTC

Slide - SuperUser

I am using J2EEDescriptorStore and I am interested in knowing:

1. Why is slide enumerating permissions for each and every object in the
store when a slide super user is accessing them?
Since super user is allowed unrestricted access to all resources, just like
a UNIX root account, why waste cycles enumerating permissions for super
user?

2. Why does slide update attributes of all the children when only one child
is changed, i.e. either added, edited or deleted?
For e.g. if an attribute of a single file is changed in a directory, slide
first retrieves all data related that dir and all the files it contains(its
children), then updates the in-memory replica, deletes all the info related
to the dir in the database and then reinserts the changed info from memory
to the database.

-Dhilip Krishnan.

RE: Slide - SuperUser

Posted by Tom Wang <to...@panscopic.com>.
Philip,

1. I think it's because Slide doesn't have a built-in superuser.  But you
could certainly add that yourself.  In our app we modified the security
helper implementation so that it always returns true for superuser.

2. I think it's because it's simpler to implement add/delete than update.
Slide doesn't know which child (in memory object) has been modified so the
easiest way is to delete all children and re-insert.  Am i making sense?

Tom Wang
Panscopic Corporation
Web Reporting, Just Add Data
http://www.panscopic.com/