Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jamie Mascherino <jm...@learnframe.com> on 2000/11/09 01:18:53 UTC

Cocoon Graphing Capability

Has anyone ever used Cocoon to do graphing?  I need to plot a series of x
and y axis from different functions.  Does Cocoon have any such
capabilities? I know graphing is possible with HTML, but has anyone had much
experience.

Thanks!
Jamie L. Mascherino
Learnframe, Inc.
Salt Lake City, Utah
jmascherino@learnframe.com

Re: Cocoon Graphing Capability

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Ross Burton wrote:

> Cocoon 2 has SVG support built in - it can generate an image file from a
> SVG.  Also search IBM's DeveloperWorks web site, they have an example of
> generating graphs from XML data.

Are you duplicating efforts with the fop group? Where does the SVG in
cocoon2 come from?

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: Cocoon Graphing Capability

Posted by Ross Burton <ro...@lineone.net>.
On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Jamie Mascherino wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone ever used Cocoon to do graphing?  I need to plot a series of x
> > and y axis from different functions.  Does Cocoon have any such
> > capabilities? I know graphing is possible with HTML, but has anyone had much
> > experience.
>
> Look at SVG support in fop - however, I don't know if the newer fop
> versions work with cocoon and I think the fop version supplied with
> cocoon doesn't do much SVG.

Cocoon 2 has SVG support built in - it can generate an image file from a
SVG.  Also search IBM's DeveloperWorks web site, they have an example of
generating graphs from XML data.

Ross Burton

Re: Cocoon Graphing Capability

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Posted by Simon Wilks <si...@enterprisefusion.com>.
Hi Jamie,

How about using an XML graphics format: SVG

More info under: http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8 or for another
angle look at:
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2000-08/sunflash.20000802.1.html

Here's an extract from the W3C page:

What is it
SVG is a language for describing two-dimensional graphics in XML. SVG allows
for three types of graphic objects: vector graphic shapes (e.g., paths
consisting of straight lines and curves), images and text. Graphical objects
can be grouped, styled, transformed and composited into previously rendered
objects. Text can be in any XML namespace suitable to the appplication,
which enhances searchability and accessibility of the SVG graphics. The
feature set includes nested transformations, clipping paths, alpha masks,
filter effects, template objects and extensibility.

SVG drawings can be dynamic and interactive. The Document Object Model (DOM)
for SVG, which includes the full XML DOM, allows for straightforward and
efficient vector graphics animation via scripting. A rich set of event
handlers such as onmouseover and onclick can be assigned to any SVG
graphical object. Because of its compatibility and leveraging of other Web
standards, features like scripting can be done on SVG elements and other XML
elements from different namespaces simultaneously within the same Web page.

Hope it helps,

Simon.