Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Maurice Howe <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/28 23:01:16 UTC

Pringing adrs labels

I need help printing mailing labels for a newsletter.  My data is a ".doc"
file comprised of a TABLE with names, addresses, etc.

Using writer/tools/mail-merge, I get as far as use-current-doc/letter but
the "insert address block" fields are grayed-out.  The select-address-list
tab shows my filename but I can't get past that.

What am I doing wrong?  A detailed "how to" would be appreciated.

Re: Pringing adrs labels

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:50:01 -0400
Maurice Howe <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Alan.  I'll give that a shot.  I appreciate your time & advice.

On the Forum this article is often recommended
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/mail_merge_openoffice_org

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Pringing adrs labels

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pringing adrs labels

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
Glad to assist. And thank you for letting us all know your results.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Maurice Howe <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That worked like a charm, Alan.  Thanks so much for your help.
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Alan B <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Maurice Howe <ma...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I need help printing mailing labels for a newsletter.  My data is a
> > ".doc"
> > > file comprised of a TABLE with names, addresses, etc.
> > >
> > > Using writer/tools/mail-merge, I get as far as use-current-doc/letter
> but
> > > the "insert address block" fields are grayed-out.  The
> > select-address-list
> > > tab shows my filename but I can't get past that.
> > >

> > Hello Maurice -  I've tried a few experiments to perform mail merge. I
> have
> > not been able to find a way to have the source of the data be in a .doc
> > file (or a .odt file for that matter).
> >
> > The instructions I found provide reference to using a text file or a
> > spreadsheet as the data source.
> >

> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Creating_Mail_Merge_Documents_From_Text/CSV_or_Spreadsheets
> >
> > My suggestion would be copy the address table from the Word document
> into a
> > spreadsheet. (I tested copy from Word table into Calc spreadsheet and
> that
> > preserved the column and row layout.) Then use the spreadsheet as the
> data
> > source.
> >
> > This method worked in my tests.

--