Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <de...@me.com> on 2010/03/11 08:19:53 UTC

Brainstorming about the Framework: UI Tier

If you could change anything about the user interface tier in OFBiz (basically the ControlServlet, the various widgets (Screen, Form, Menu, Tree), the separate webapps, actions in (or not in) groovy, etc), what would you change?

All comments are welcome. If there is another tool you'd like to see used instead of the Screen Widget (for example), please describe what you like about it (like "I like to orchestrate my web pages using Java classes" or "I like having fewer/more/bigger/smaller files" or "I hate having to declare every request and view" or "I wish the screens used included screens top-down instead of the bottom-up decorator pattern") instead of just mentioning the tool (like "let's use Struts!").

Why am I asking? This topic comes up every once in a while, and it's true that many suggestions never get enough support to actually happen (or on further research it is decided that the idea is not tenable), but brainstorming about them to get ideas in the open is still a great thing. The history of OFBiz is full of things like this where users and more casual contributors had ideas and saw possibilities that others, even more involved contributors, totally missed or never looked at that way. What I think would be fun, and ultimately useful too, is to keep this mostly to brainstorming and not do too much comparing of ideas.

BTW, if you want to brainstorm about another tier (ie the Data or Logic tiers) please use the other threads on those. If you'd like to discuss things that aren't specific to a tier look for the "General" thread.

-David

Re: Brainstorming about the Framework: UI Tier

Posted by Rodrigo Lima <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

I suggest the creation of specialized handlers for the platform from Adobe,
Flex.Being practical, Remote Objects.
Even easier, create libraries of custom implementation, as are the layers
below (Screen, Form, Menu, Tree).
I am a potential contributor in this process.

Rodrigo

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,
1) A PortalPage widget would be useful in order to easily add
user-customizable areas in every screen
2) We need a way to have components to extend the UI of the components they
depend on. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-3373
3) A collapsible left column (containing a PortalPage widget) would allow to

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi David:
First, thanks for asking!
IMO:
The ControlServlet/controller.xml configuration is easy to follow and
works like a charm. Any problems with it arise when the controller.xml
file is split across multiple webapps. (But, that is just my own
personal opinion. If there are any common elements, then they can just
be duplicated in each webapp's controller.xml. Its much harder to
maintain an instance of OFBiz if controller.xml files are spread all
over the place. )

My biggest angst concerning widgets is that configuration files are all
over the place. I understand the concept of re-use across the entire UI,
but at some point, you just have to say enough is enough. The second
issue I have is that building HTML using XML is just counter-intuitive
and requires knowledge of not just HTML/CSS but also OFBiz specific
knowledge of the XML declarations necessary to build the HTML, call the
Entity Engine and/or Services etc.  But, I digress.

I wouldn't take away widgets. I'd add a tool that helps build HTML using
widgets. A graphical tool that has drag'n drop with page layouts etc.
would be nice. Once I had that working, I'd apply the "tutorial", drag'n
drop concept to the back-end applications. Trying to configure OFBiz
using the existing forms is really tough. If we had a way to build UI's
that were more user friendly (intuitive) (for example, like using the
shopping cart to place UI components in a cart as the UI builder
positions them on a web page), that would be really neat!

More to come...
Regards,
Ruth
Find me on the web at http://www.myofbiz.com or Google keyword "myofbiz"
ruth.hoffman@myofbiz.com

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@hlmksw.com>
> David E Jones wrote:
>> If you could change anything about the user interface tier in OFBiz (basically the ControlServlet, the various widgets (Screen,
>> Form, Menu, Tree), the separate webapps, actions in (or not in) groovy, etc), what would you change?
>
> 1. Reorganize the widget Java code so updates/enhancements are easier.
>
> 2. WebDAV support. Instead of using Eclipse to design the UI, use something like Dreamweaver.

Have mercy, not Dreamweaver!

Jacques

Re: Brainstorming about the Framework: UI Tier

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,

I am involved in an OFBiz implementation, but may join the effort once
things are more managable.

Regards,
James

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.