Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Phase Web and Multimedia <ma...@phase.ws> on 2002/08/14 15:34:29 UTC

What about "Struts Action Plugin Extension"?

Greetings,

A while back I sparked a lengthy discussion on the topic of a "configurable"
preproccessor that can make calls on model components for common data
preparation (pre-action). Someone told me thet the Workflow extension
accomplished this. I didn't find that to be completely true (I think it was
a misunderstanding of my problem).

As a result I am consdering using the "Struts Action Plugin Extension"
(http://www.asqdotcom.be/struts/) that is displayed on the Struts resource
page. I was curious what committers' thoughts were on this extension. Has
this extension been considered as becoming part of the Struts code base ? If
not, then is there something comparable in the works?

There is a need for a configurable prepocessor or action chaining that
allows for "reusing" common contoller and data preparation code without
having to hard code it into your Action class. If this is a viable plug-in
(and it looks pretty darn slick to me) then I will commit to helping to
enhance it and provide patches for integrating it into the Struts code base.
Following is the link to this extension. Can some developers give me some
opinions as to the viability and longevity of this extension?

I would like to avoid an Action/Servlet chaining debate. imho this extesion
avoids all those hairy issues and is quite different. It is integrated a lot
smoother. I am just interested in hearing about alternative solutions and/or
potential compatibility issues with other popular extensions.

Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245
F (406) 862-0354
mail@phase.ws
http://www.phase.ws

RE: Adding ComponentContext to RequestUtils.lookup

Posted by "Michael C. Han" <mh...@objectparadigms.net>.
Cedric,

The last project I was involved in we did perform <tiles:importAttribute>.
However, it does become a problem when developers forgets to put this line
in and can't figure out what he can't get an attribute out of the Controllre
:-).  I think adding the 3 lines of code into the RequestUtil will eliminate
the need for people who forget to issue the importAttribute directive on the
page.

-m

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@apache.org>.
  Hi,

[PROPOSAL] RE: What about "Struts Action Plugin Extension"?

Posted by Brandon Goodin <ma...@phase.ws>.
Just as a follow up to Gerrie. I hope that I didn't sound like I was trying
to move in on your hard work by saying I would help enhance or write
integration patches. I just konw that we can all get pretty busy. Any help I
can be... just let me know.

I hope this is a hit!
Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P(406)862-2245
F(406)862-0354
http://www.phase.ws

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
A useful first step might be to post a sample application that shows
this extension plugin in action. There's a Struts Sourceforge project
<http://sourceforge.netg/projects/struts> where such examples can be
submitted and maintained by multiple contributors. Anyone interested can
email your sourceforge id to me at thusted@users.sourceforge.net for
developer access.

Though, personally, I believe it's best to get the appication off of the
web tier as quickly as possible. The advantage of the commons workflow
approach is that it is neither Struts or web-app specific. Most of the
code is in straight business classes and not wrapped in some flavor of
an Action. For myself, I tend to specify a "business bean" as the
action-mapping parameter, and then use a well-engineered framework
Action to pass the inputs up and the outputs back. The Artimus
application <http://husted.com/builds> demonstrates this.

The source for the framework actions and objects I use are available in
the Scaffold packages. There is a core Scaffold package that was just
posted to the Commons sandbox and a Struts-specific companion in the
contrib folder. If anyone is interested, see <http://husted.com/struts>
for the links.

-Ted.