Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Rex Fenley <Re...@remind101.com> on 2020/11/11 06:54:49 UTC

Checkpoint growth

Hello,

I'm reading the docs/blog on incremental checkpoints and it says:

>You can also no longer delete old checkpoints as newer checkpoints need
them, and the history of differences between checkpoints can grow
indefinitely over time. You need to plan for larger distributed storage to
maintain the checkpoints and the network overhead to read from it.
source:
https://flink.apache.org/features/2018/01/30/incremental-checkpointing.html

I'm wondering why this would be true though. It says earlier that
incremental checkpoints compact so why would the history grow indefinitely?

Thanks!

--

Rex Fenley  |  Software Engineer - Mobile and Backend

Remind.com <https://www.remind.com/> |  BLOG <http://blog.remind.com/>
US <https://twitter.com/remindhq>  |  LIKE US
<https://www.facebook.com/remindhq>

Re: Checkpoint growth

Posted by Akshay Aggarwal <ak...@flipkart.com>.
Hi Rex,

As per my understanding there are multiple levels of compactions (with
RocksDB), and files which are not compacted recently would remain in older
checkpoint directories, and there will be references to those files in the
current checkpoint. There is no clear way of identifying these references
and clearing older checkpoint directories.

What we do instead to avoid ever increasing checkpoint directory size is to
stop the job with a savepoint, clear the checkpoints directory and start
the job from the savepoint periodically.

Thanks,
Akshay Aggarwal

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 10:55 PM Rex Fenley <Re...@remind101.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm reading the docs/blog on incremental checkpoints and it says:
>
> >You can also no longer delete old checkpoints as newer checkpoints need
> them, and the history of differences between checkpoints can grow
> indefinitely over time. You need to plan for larger distributed storage to
> maintain the checkpoints and the network overhead to read from it.
> source:
> https://flink.apache.org/features/2018/01/30/incremental-checkpointing.html
>
> I'm wondering why this would be true though. It says earlier that
> incremental checkpoints compact so why would the history grow indefinitely?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Rex Fenley  |  Software Engineer - Mobile and Backend
>

> Remind.com <https://www.remind.com/> |  BLOG <http://blog.remind.com/>  |
>  FOLLOW US <https://twitter.com/remindhq>  |  LIKE US
> <https://www.facebook.com/remindhq>

--

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the
intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee,
you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify
the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake
and delete this email from your system. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or
taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is
strictly prohibited.*****

 ****

*Any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of the organization. Any information on shares, debentures or similar
instruments, recommended product pricing, valuations and the like are for
information purposes only. It is not meant to be an instruction or
recommendation, as the case may be, to buy or to sell securities, products,
services nor an offer to buy or sell securities, products or services
unless specifically stated to be so on behalf of the Flipkart group.
Employees of the Flipkart group of companies are expressly required not to
make defamatory statements and not to infringe or authorise any
infringement of copyright or any other legal right by email communications.
Any such communication is contrary to organizational policy and outside the
scope of the employment of the individual concerned. The organization will
not accept any liability in respect of such communication, and the employee
responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other liability
arising.*****

 ****

*Our organization accepts no liability for the
content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the
basis of the information *provided,* unless that information is
subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient,
prohibited.*