Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Winslow <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/11 17:46:11 UTC

Why so much virtual memory?

I start Tomcat 5.5.7 and it immediately reports about
450 megabytes of virtual memory usage in the linux app
top.  Is this normal?  Is it just allocating it or is
it really using it?  It takes about 1 to 2 seconds to
start and there's no way an application can write 450
megs of disk memory in that time period, or at least I
don't think it can.

I'm asking because I'm wondering what my memory
requirements are going to be for a collocated server
I'm setting up.  The ISP charges more for more memory.
 I'm looking at 512 megs, but can pay about 50% more
and get 1024.

If Tomcat could run more efficiently without having to
put things in virtual memory, I may want to pay the
extra money.

Thanks.

Re: Why so much virtual memory?

Posted by David Causse <dc...@cognitis.fr>.
Mark Winslow wrote:

>I start Tomcat 5.5.7 and it immediately reports about
>450 megabytes of virtual memory usage in the linux app
>top.  Is this normal?  Is it just allocating it or is
>it really using it?  It takes about 1 to 2 seconds to
>start and there's no way an application can write 450
>megs of disk memory in that time period, or at least I
>don't think it can.
>
>I'm asking because I'm wondering what my memory
>requirements are going to be for a collocated server
>I'm setting up.  The ISP charges more for more memory.
> I'm looking at 512 megs, but can pay about 50% more
>and get 1024.
>
>If Tomcat could run more efficiently without having to
>put things in virtual memory, I may want to pay the
>extra money.
>
>Thanks.

IMHO you don't have to worry about memory.
You should not look at VIRT but only RES or %MEM (linux ps).

Memory management with is very difficult to tune well, you'll need to
test a lot of arguments.
If you don't run into OutOfMemory exception you don't have to worry, unused
memory is wasted memory.

David.