Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net> on 2000/11/12 16:35:33 UTC

autoconf lossage

Or rather, programmer lossage currently preventing autoconf winnage:

I'm trying to get a result like the following in config.h:

   /* Full path to local diff program. */
   #define SVN_CLIENT_DIFF "/usr/local/bin/diff"

However, I haven't yet been successful.  Someone who knows autoconf
better than I (Bruce?), please take a look in configure.in (search for
the string "kff todo") at my failed attempt, and tell me what I'm
doing wrong.  Right now, the result is that @SVN_CLIENT_DIFF@ is set
in all the Makefile.in's, and `configure' substitutes it.

I mean, we could work with that, but surely having it set in config.h
is preferable. (?)

Feel free to commit the right fix directly, of course, but if you
think an explanation of some fundamental autoconf principle is also
required, please post that too :-).  I'm sure I'm missing something
basic here...

-K

Re: autoconf lossage

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@light.plus.com>.
On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 12:20:45PM -0600, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Thanks, this works.
>
> But @SVN_CLIENT_DIFF@ is still mentioned in all the Makefile.in's;
> it's not costing us anything, but it's kind of gratuitous.  I wish
> there were a way to make it stop.

Hmmmmm, yeah: seems like automake picks up any programs AC_PATH_PROG
finds and lobs them in the Makefile.in's. I'd reckon it's stuck there.

joe

Re: autoconf lossage

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net>.
Thanks, this works.

But @SVN_CLIENT_DIFF@ is still mentioned in all the Makefile.in's;
it's not costing us anything, but it's kind of gratuitous.  I wish
there were a way to make it stop.

(Don't you get the feeling that's even true decontextualized?  In
general, "I wish there were a way to make it stop." :-) )

-K

Re: autoconf lossage

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@light.plus.com>.