Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2004/03/22 16:47:08 UTC

Another Avalon Roadmap

Hello.

The PMC has already taken a peek at this roadmap which I put together.  It
is by no means official at this point -- more just a general guide right now
and my thoughts on how to proceed.  There's been some positive feedback and,
thus far, no strong objections.  I wanted to send it out to the dev list for
more comments though.

1. Clean up Excalibur and Fortress
    A lot of this work has been done already, recently thanks to Niclas.
    The clean up should not involve any code changes or new development,
    just getting things into a very stable, buildable situation.  A key
    factor here would be clean GUMP builds.

2. Release of Excalibur and Fortress
    We just had a release, but depending on the number of changes in
    step #1, another release may be required.  This is mostly just so
    users who are still working with Excalibur and Fortress don't have
    to get the cleaned up versions via CVS but can just download them
    from our distribution mirrors.  This is an "optional" step -- it may
    be competely unnecessary if the existing releases will suffice.  If
    we need the release, I volunteer to be release manager.

3. ECM/Fortress/Phoenix move to Emeritus Container status
    Call 'em Emeratus, Legacy, Stable, whatever.  Just don't call them
    "dead."  It gives people the jibblies.  We create a section of the
    site (maybe even CVS) for these containers/projects.  They will be
    listed as stable though not actively developed.  People are free to
    use them with the understanding that further development (by Avalon)
    has halted.  We'll need to come up with a policy for patches
    submitted by users.

    NOTE:  They will most likely be termed "legacy".

4. Spin off Avalon Extras
    There may be some aspects of Avalon we can and should spin off into
    other groups if they are willing to take them.  Candidates include:
      logkit  --> Apache Logging
      avalon-repository --> depot
    and a couple of the excalibur projects (like excalibur-events).
    Again, this step, like all the rest, would require community
    consensus and appropriate steps.

    NOTE:  This step is not guaranteed.  We'll need to take into
    account what's best for everyone.

5. Avalon TCK
    This may be the harder part.  We'll fix all those 'holes' in the
    standards (http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonStandards) and
    establish a TCK.  This involves finally fixing the meta-mess.

6. TCK Implementation
    While 5 & 6 are obviously tightly interwoven, I separated them out.
    This part will involve bringing Merlin up to the TCK requirements.

7. Legacy migration
    At this point we should be able to properly offer users a migration
    path to the latest iteration (and hopefully more stable) of Avalon.
    This may be by offering special "personalities" or "policies" which
    offer backwards compatible support.  It may also involve tools for
    updating old components.  This will not necessarily be simple, but
    we need to have a stable target (TCK) to shoot for before we can
    offer this sort of support. Until then, users have the stable
    emeritus containers to work with or the latest Merlin container.

8. Refinement of the Container(s)
    At this point we'll have a more stable environment to develop in.
    We'll have a TCK and migration tools.  We can now work on refining
    and extending our platform.  This may involve further development of
    Leo's Aspects idea, leading to a more flexible Avalon container
    system.

9. Additional User Support -- tools, docs, etc.
    At this point we can also focus on delivering a better package to the
    user.  This involves more tool support (Merlin Developer) and more
    complete documentation.  Maybe we'll even get some more complete
    Avalon "distributions" out there -- a range of prebuilt Avalon
    solutions (small, medium, large).

10. Planet Avalon and Beyond
    I'm adding this somewhat "tongue-in-cheek".  I don't know if a
    Avalon Planet is even possible or if I want it.  But by this point
    such dreams of grandeur are more within grasp.

Comments welcome.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653

Re: Another Avalon Roadmap

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Hi Aaron:

This is a short reply because my monitor is about to disintegrate and I
have to switch it off fast. Getting item (1) closed means some
reshuffling of fortress code which would be preferable after SVN is in
place.  Reshuffling basically involves putting in a proper gump build
and sub-project structure and resolving the sourceresolver dependencies
(or moving sourceresolver under fortress if separation is problematic).
  The sourceresolver is also required by monitor and xmlutil (both
referenced by Cocoon).  Once these are sorted I'll post a message to the
gump list to see what we can do to setup a separate legacy gump
descriptor that references a specific branch following which close of
items (2) and (3).

Cheers, Stephen.