Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Telconstar99 <te...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/04 19:42:31 UTC

SSI Enabling Problem

Want to say hello, as this is my first time to ever post.
I just downloaded and installed Apache 1.3 on my 2k box. This is my VERY
first time to run a web-server, so I know just about nothing about it.
Anyway, I want to get SSI working. So I fired up my httpd.conf file, and
added the following (read a brief tutorial):

AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

It mentioned something about having the following directive "Options
+Includes" but I wasn't really sure what that meant. I read something about
needed "mod_includes" or something like that, but I'm not sure what this
means either.

Their may be something wrong in the way I am using the SSI in the .shtml
file. Here are how my two files are located:
Root Directory/TheTresPlace/index.shtml
Root Directory/TheTresPlace/IndexTop.html

So, in my .shtml file, I have the following:
"<!--#include virtual="/TheTresPlace/IndexTop.html"-->"

What am I doing wrong? Just tell me if you need more info, I probably
provided too much already. Thanks SO much.

Tres London

Re: SSI Enabling Problem

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.
this is for my apache 1.2.6, with dynamic page support.

(sorry, my system not wanting to c&p so have to send as attachment )

this is also the defaults for my installation.

you may be able to just c&p into your own http.conf to get it working.

Re: SSI Enabling Problem

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi,

the one that matters is the
 Includes
or
 +Includes
.

This -> <Directory /> <-- is the default for the whole system. It is written above this section in the httpd.conf that in this way the default for the whole system is set.
Did you actually try anything?

Jurgen
apache@squarehosting.com

Re: SSI Enabling Problem

Posted by Telconstar99 <te...@hotmail.com>.
VICTORY!!!!! (Somewhat, it's still buggy, but I think I can fix that with
trial and error).

I know why it wasn't working the whole time! I had this line of code in my
conf file and didn't even know it:

#

# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",

# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".

#

# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"

# doesn't give it to you.

#

Options Includes Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews

(I added the includes part).

That's all it took! It was Robert Anderson's pointing to the tutorial on how
to add SSI (I had read it earlier, but I seemed to understand it so much
better now). I want to thank EVERYONE for the time they spent, and for
putting up w/ my stupidity :) I REALLY do appreciate it, really!

Re: SSI Enabling Problem

Posted by Ed...@ita.org.mo.
Telconstar99 wrote:

> OK. This is what I have (and have had since the beginning of my post):
>
> <Directory />
>
> Options Includes ExecCgi FollowSymLinks
>
> AllowOverride None
>
> </Directory>
>
> and.....
>
> AddType text/html .shtml
>
> AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
>
> Now, the user "Jurgen" says this is all I need. However, the user "Wick"
> says I need this:
>
> <Directory "/REPLACE_WITH_PATH_TO_YOUR_HTDOCS_DIRECTORY">
>     Options Includes
>     AllowOverride All
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> Yet, when I put that in, it says I have multiple directory commands (aka
> error). Who's correct? Are either correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tres London

Try this setting :

<Directory "/REPLACE_WITH_PATH_TO_YOUR_HTDOCS_DIRECTORY">
 Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks MultiViews ExecCGI
 AllowOverride All # Set AllowOverride is "All" enable .htaccess function ( see
the comment of httpd.conf )
 Order allow,deny
 Allow from all
</Directory>

Security :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/security_tips.html

This is my customized setting :
<Directory />
     AllowOverride None
     Order Deny,Allow
     Deny from all
 </Directory>

Wish that can help you !

Re: SSI Enabling Problem

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Ok, Tres. Have you carefully read the documentation about SSI? If not, do
it. Else, if it was a while ago, read it again; perhaps it makes more sense
after our discussion here. You find the docs here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html

> Yet, when I put that in, it says I have multiple directory commands (aka
> error). Who's correct? Are either correct?

The dirctory block, and most or all of the directives, we have shown you are
already in your config file, and therefor you shall not put them there. We
give them to you so you can verify if your config looks like that, and
otherwise correct it so it matches our templates.

One thing I noticed from your previous message. You have an inconsisteny, I
believe:

> DocumentRoot "D:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs"
> <Directory />
>     Options Includes ExecCgi FollowSymLinks
>     AllowOverride None
> </Directory>

Here, you define your document root as "D:/blablablablabl...". This should
also be path in the directory block instead of the slash; like:

<Directory "D:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs">

Here's what we do. You give us your full config file, and I (or someone
else) look at it, and tell you what needs to be added or changed. If you
can, please put it somewhere on the Internet and provide a link to it,
rather than including it to the list.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: SSI Enabling Problem

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi,

Re: SSI Enabling Problem

Posted by Telconstar99 <te...@hotmail.com>.

Re: SSI Enabling Problem

Posted by Telconstar99 <te...@hotmail.com>.
> > It mentioned something about having the following directive "Options
> > +Includes" but I wasn't really sure what that meant.
>
> Yes, you will need that to enable SSI in the directory you want it to work
> in. Something like this:
>
> <Directory "Root Directory/TheTresPlace">

what goes here, in place of the three dots?

>     Options +Includes
> </Directory>

Thanks so much,
Tres London

Re: SSI Enabling Problem

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Telconstar99 wrote:
> Want to say hello, as this is my first time to ever post.

Welcome!

> I just downloaded and installed Apache 1.3 on my 2k box. This is my VERY
> first time to run a web-server, so I know just about nothing about it.
> Anyway, I want to get SSI working. So I fired up my httpd.conf file, and
> added the following (read a brief tutorial):
>
> AddType text/html .shtml
> AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

Correct, I believe.

> It mentioned something about having the following directive "Options
> +Includes" but I wasn't really sure what that meant.

Yes, you will need that to enable SSI in the directory you want it to work
in. Something like this:

<Directory "Root Directory/TheTresPlace">
    Options +Includes
</Directory>

> I read something about
> needed "mod_includes" or something like that, but I'm not sure what this
> means either.

You must have this one among the other loads:
LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so

 (I have never used 1.x seriously, and heard lot of scary stuff about
AddModule,  but don't think that is needed unless you use ClearModuleList)

> Their may be something wrong in the way I am using the SSI in the .shtml
> file. Here are how my two files are located:
> Root Directory/TheTresPlace/index.shtml
> Root Directory/TheTresPlace/IndexTop.html
>
> So, in my .shtml file, I have the following:
> "<!--#include virtual="/TheTresPlace/IndexTop.html"-->"

Should work, once you've configured Apache properly.

Regards,
Robert Andersson