Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by De...@mercata.com on 2000/02/01 03:47:52 UTC

Can't get Tomcat to load new "contexts"

I am a relatively-new Tomcat user and I can't get Tomcat to recognize and
load a new context that I defined.  I'm working with tomcat 3.0 on WinNT
4.0.

Here's what I did to demonstrate the problem:

1) Copied .../tomcat/examples tree to .../tomcat/examples2
2) Edited .../tomcat/etc/server.xml and added the following
        <Context path="/examples2" docBase="examples2"
            defaultSessionTimeOut="30" isWARExpanded="true"
            isWARValidated="false" isInvokerEnabled="true"
            isWorkDirPersistent="false"/>

(In other words, a cut and paste of the entry for "examples", with a "2"
appended....)

3) Used the entry for "/examples" in .../tomcat/etc/tomcat.conf
        ApJServMount /examples   /root

to create and add:
        ApJServMount /examples2   /root

(However, isn't tomcat.conf actually only used by Apache?)

4) Invoke tomcat:  .../tomcat/startup.bat

Here's the log I got in the console window:

Tomcat Web Server Version 3.0
Configuring web service using "default"
Configuring web service using "file:C:/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache/tomcat/examples/WEB-INF/web.xml"
default: init
jsp: init
Configuring web service using "default"
Configuring web service using "file:C:/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache/tomcat/webpages/WEB-INF/web.xml"
default: init
jsp: init
Starting tcp endpoint on 8080 with
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnection
Handler
Starting tcp endpoint on 8007 with
org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler

So, it appears that nothing "happens" with "examples2". Any ideas what I'm
missing??

Thanks in Advance,
dean

Dean Wampler, Ph.D.
System Design Engineer

Mercata, Inc.
110 110th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004-5840
mailto:deanw@mercata.com <ma...@mercata.com>
http://www.mercata.com <http://www.mercata.com/>
(425)468-9723

I want my tombstone to say:
  "Unknown Application Error in DeanWampler.exe.
  Application Terminated"

Re: Can't get Tomcat to load new "contexts"

Posted by co...@eng.sun.com.
> 2) Edited .../tomcat/etc/server.xml and added the following
>         <Context path="/examples2" docBase="examples2"
>             defaultSessionTimeOut="30" isWARExpanded="true"
>             isWARValidated="false" isInvokerEnabled="true"
>             isWorkDirPersistent="false"/>

Sorry about that, the config file is ../tomcat/server.xml,
the one in /etc/ is a sample that should be removed.

All those problems will be adressed in 3.1, we reorganized the directory
structure to use conf/ for all configs, and contexts will be automatically
added.

Costin