Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 1999/11/18 05:35:49 UTC

setsockopt(...,SO_SNDTIMEO,...)

Does this option work on any Unix platforms?  It appears to work pretty well
in Winsock2. If it were widely available, it would sure simplify the APR
socket I/O routines.

Bill

Re: setsockopt(...,SO_SNDTIMEO,...)

Posted by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com>.
It's not implemented on BeOS, but may be after the network rewrite.

david
Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
Sam Talebbeik <sa...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I can see this option in /usr/include/sys/socket.h on Solaris, AIX,
>and HPUX. So the #define for this option is indeed available on the
>major Unix variants.

It's in BSD since at least 4.3-reno; I don't have any older versions
to hand.

Tony.
--
let it be dot at

Re: setsockopt(...,SO_SNDTIMEO,...)

Posted by Sam Talebbeik <sa...@ix.netcom.com>.
I can see this option in /usr/include/sys/socket.h on Solaris, AIX, and HPUX.
So the #define for this option is indeed available on the major Unix variants.

However, I am not sure if this option will really work as you expect.
It needs to be tested.

The first test is whether the setsockopt() really works and does not
return a -1 for this option. The second test is to flood the tcp layer
and then do a send() and see if you get out of it during the time out.

What makes me concerned is a comment that I read in Solaris's
online support. It claimed that this option may not work. However the
person who logged the call was not sure. The bottom line, the option is there
but it needs rigorous testing to make sure that it works.

If the issue here is blocking on a send(), I think using a non-blocking file
descriptor is the way out. I hope this helps.

     ST.

Re: setsockopt(...,SO_SNDTIMEO,...)

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
I don't see it on linux or solaris...