Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu> on 2002/05/08 11:59:26 UTC

WSIF built dependencies [Re: Proposed Contribution to Apache - WSIF]

Paul Fremantle wrote:

> > 4. Can you also please ensure that classes from Apache SOAP are not used
> "indiscriminately" in the
> > code. Wanting people to have both Apache Axis and Apache SOAP jars defeats
> the whole purpose... (I
> > searched for org.apache.soap in *.java)
>
> There are a couple of uses of Apache SOAP. There are a few places where we
> have been lazy and used SOAP classes in the base framework and we'll get rid
> of those. And there's the ApacheSOAP provider, which is an alternative to
> the Axis provider.
>
> > 5. Can the build file be updated to build even if Apache SOAP, EJB,
> SOAPRMI, JMS, JROM, IBM
> > Logging Package are absent? Since these are supposed to be "Optional"
>
> Yup. I need to introduce you to Jeremy, he's the team leader and build guru!

this is already (partially) done when i wrote original bild.xml for WSIF 1.0.
this is the same in WSIF 1.2 as it will not build SOAPRMI provider if jar file
is not present.

what is needed is to add new dependencies to target checkDependencies ...

in general WSIF has pluggable architecture.
one part of WSIF is API that uses extensively WSDL4J
for service introspection and to select appropriate provider
that may be dynamically added.

therefore it should be very easy to make build into separate steps:
first build API and then each provider
(such as Apache  SOAP, AXIS, etc.) is built only if required
jar files are on CLASSPATH.
each provider should be built into separate directory to
minimize dependencies between providers (such as
Apache SOAP 2.x and AXIS).

> Yes! Once we're through our crisis, we'll post a new dist with samples and
> the fixes. It would be nice to have the CVS tree sorted by then so we can do
> the global rename at the same time and post it to its final destination.

that would be good!

thanks,

alek