Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Francesco Mari <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/13 17:11:18 UTC

Expose checkpoints in the ContentSession interface

Hi,

I thought that to implement the content of "revision" described in the
remote API I am working on [1], checkpoints could be a viable option.
Do you think that's a good idea?

I created OAK-2520 and attached a patch to do expose checkpoints from
the ContentSession interface.

[1]: https://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/frm/HttpOperations

Re: Expose checkpoints in the ContentSession interface

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> I thought that to implement the content of "revision" described in the
> remote API I am working on [1], checkpoints could be a viable option.
> Do you think that's a good idea?

I think this can be an easy way forward for now but I don't think we
should expose the checkpoints through the Oak API. Checkpoints were
meant as low level feature to be used by several Oak internal features.
We have already seen that they might negatively impact garbage
collection. Liberally passing checkpoints outside Oak seems too
dangerous too me.

Furthermore using checkpoints from within a session to represent remote
sessions seems a bit awkward. I'd rather follow up on OAK-2416 to
implement a way for continuing an earlier session.

> I created OAK-2520 and attached a patch to do expose checkpoints from
> the ContentSession interface.

Will follow up there re. particulars of the patch.

Michael