Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by "Coffman, Timothy A" <ti...@Vanderbilt.Edu> on 2009/10/26 15:50:51 UTC

Best practice for spreading one master across several disks?

I am collecting information and doing some proofs-of-concept in
preparation for suggesting CouchDB as a replacement for a 20-year-old
house-developed document system.  One topic I will need to address goes
like this:

(1) How big can one CouchDB database file get?

(2) How could I store one CouchDB logical database across multiple disks
or machines?

Has anyone tried to address these?

Tim Coffman

Vanderbilt University Medical Center

(615) 936-6496

Re: Best practice for spreading one master across several disks?

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
Yes, we'll certainly be integrating a distribution/sharding engine
into CouchDB core.  Best,

Adam

Posted by AnotherNetFellow <an...@gmail.com>.
Oh, sorry Adam, I wasn't told you're one of project developers/managers.

Thankyou for your reply.

Jan: yes, it could be another type of use. It's, we could say, load
balancing. But think, and Adam seems confirming this, that another important
feature of non relational dbms is the ability to scale in size, without
limits (and a single server's capacity is a limit).

Giorgio

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by AnotherNetFellow <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.