Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Frank Bures <li...@chem.toronto.edu> on 2007/03/13 16:12:06 UTC

whitelist_allows_relays is ignored

Re: whitelist_allows_relays is ignored

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Frank Bures wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have numerous whitelist_from_rcvd entries in
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
>
> However, when I add a whitelist_allows_relays entry, that entry is
> ignored.
>
> Example:
>
> whitelist_from_rcvd    joe@exam.com    aol.com
> whitelist_allows_relays joe@exam.com
>
> If the mail from joe@exam.com is sent from aol.com, it is correctly
> scored at
> high negative values.
> If the mail from joe@exam.com comes from any other server, it is not
> scored
> the same way - it is scored as if it was not in whitelist_allows_relays.
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?

Yes, please read the docs on whitelist_allows_relays.

This DOES NOT enable the message to be whitelisted when sent from other
servers.

It DOES prevent the message as being marked as SPAM when it's coming
from another server.

By default, when you whitelist_from_rcvd, anything that doesn't properly
match the rcvd part is assumed to be a forgery, and thus is tagged as
spam. That's white allows_relays does.

If you must whitelist by address alone, without concern for what server
sent it, you want whitelist_from.

However, beware that whitelist_from has NO protection against forgery.
Anyone, including a spammer, can send mail claiming to be joe@aol.com
and get whitelisted.