Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by Hyung Sung Shim <hs...@nflabs.com> on 2015/12/21 03:56:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] CI system for zeppelin

Dear devs.

I'd like to propose new CI system for the Zeppelin project which is testing
in NFLabs.

I knew in some cases current build system (travis) can not help developping
Zeppelin.
1. It can't clsasloading test at the spark cluster because of now CI
environment is not the actual environment.
  (zeppelin and Spark is running in the same host.)
2. It can't test on the various Operating System and JDK version
environments. (only build in the travis host OS and single version of JDK)
3. It can't test on the various spark cluster environments. (now only build
with the spark standalone.)
4. It can't parallel test because of build time. (now spark standalone test
takes 40 minutes.)

*. The proposed CI system can
1. clsasloading test at the spark cluster in actual environment by testing
Zeppelin in the docker container completely separated with Spark cluster.
(Spark cluster also runs on docker.)
2. test on the various Operating System and JDK version environments.
3. test on the various spark cluster environments.
 - now we build zeppelin with the spark standalone and yarn and mesos
backends.
4. run parallel build
 - It takes less than 20 minutes when we build the zeppelin with the spark
standalone and yarn and mesos backends concurrently.

*. Build system introduction.
Build system is simply composed of the Jenkins and Docker and some scripts.
You can get the informations (how to run and how to add new build features
etc..) here(https://github.com/NFLabs/zeppelin-ci).

*. Further discussion
1. How this proposed CI system can integrated to current Zeppelin github
repository (hook).
2. To run this CI system, we'll need infrastructrure.

I hope it helps both zeppelin developers and users.

Please share your opinion.
Thanks in advance!

Re: [DISCUSS] CI system for zeppelin

Posted by Alexander Bezzubov <bz...@apache.org>.
Thank you for a proposal - to have a containerised CI solution will allow
us to test with more version of interpreters and real clusters, as well as
reduce build times, which is awesome.

I wish we could also keep the simplicity of setup using `.travis.yaml`
rather then job configuration details in CI system, but that is minor.

Are there any plans to donate this work to ASF? If so, we could keep it in
i.e ./dev/ci/ after you think it's ready
So please keep us posted on the progress - indeed it would be great to see
it working on some repo.

As for infrastructure, it might be quite challenging to setup
builds.apache.org that way (I can make a research after the New Year), so
we might need to think more, what are the options.

Posted by Hyung Sung Shim <hs...@nflabs.com>.

Posted by Jongyoul Lee <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
http://madeng.net

Re: [DISCUSS] CI system for zeppelin

Posted by Hyung Sung Shim <hs...@nflabs.com>.

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Amos B. Elberg" <am...@gmail.com>.
I think I know a PR you could use to test it out.  :)

From: Hyung Sung Shim <hs...@nflabs.com>
Reply: dev@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org <de...@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org>
Date: December 20, 2015 at 9:56:31 PM
To: dev@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org <de...@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org>