Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jeff Widman <je...@netskope.com> on 2017/03/02 19:21:44 UTC

What is request.timeout in the consumer used for?

In the consumer, what will trigger the request.timeout?

Is it just if broker doesn't respond within that period of time?

I'm guessing in a healthy cluster, the primary culprit for triggering this
is if one of the steps within the consumer group rebalancing taking a long
time of inter-broker communication before the broker responds to the
consumer... is that true?

Any other common culprits?

Context:
We're seeing this triggered within a dev environment when set at 40
seconds. Our consumers are 3rd-party clients which don't support background
heartbeating. The cluster and consumers otherwise appear healthy, so I'm
guessing it's just slow VMs. But wanted to confirm no unexpected side
effects before I raise this value.