Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Stephen More <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/22 22:41:17 UTC

Can HttpCore NIO extensions support client side of Server push using multipart/x-mixed-replace

I see in version 4 there will be "HttpCore NIO extensions - event
driven, non-blocking I/O".
When this is released can it be used to create the client side of a
"multipart/x-mixed-replace" message ?

An example might be a HTTP Chat application. Individual POSTs could
handle sending In new messages, while 1 GET connection would stay open
to get all Outgoing messages for the entire session.

Will something like this be possible ?

-Thanks
Steve More

Re: Can HttpCore NIO extensions support client side of Server push using multipart/x-mixed-replace

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 16:41 -0500, Stephen More wrote:
> I see in version 4 there will be "HttpCore NIO extensions - event
> driven, non-blocking I/O".
> When this is released can it be used to create the client side of a
> "multipart/x-mixed-replace" message ?

There have already been a number of public releases of HttpCore

http://hc.apache.org/news.html

> An example might be a HTTP Chat application. Individual POSTs could
> handle sending In new messages, while 1 GET connection would stay open
> to get all Outgoing messages for the entire session.
>
> Will something like this be possible ?

Yes, something like that could be possible, but you would basically end
up abusing HTTP protocol for something it was never intended for. HTTP
is essentially a stateless, request/response oriented protocol. It was
never designed for something like chat applications.

Oleg

Posted by Stephen More <st...@gmail.com>.
There is no need to wait for version 4.

This can be done in version 3.1.....you just need to use
getResponseBodyAsStream instead of getResponseBody.

-Steve