Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Qingshan Xie <xi...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/14 01:43:19 UTC

[users@httpd] How Apache manages all its children

Hi,

   I am curious how Apache manages all children, which
of them are in the service to clients, which of them
are Idle, etc.? Can some one give me a brief
description or refer me a URL/books?

Many Thanks, Q.Xie

Re: [users@httpd] How Apache manages all its children

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/14/06, Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can see some information on the child processes by enabling the /info
> URL in httpd.conf - but you probably knew that already.
>

> On 14/08/06, Qingshan Xie <xi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    I am curious how Apache manages all children, which
> > of them are in the service to clients, which of them
> > are Idle, etc.? Can some one give me a brief
> > description or refer me a URL/books?

Steve means server-status provided by mod_status.

Apache manages how many children are available, but it doesn't really
manage exactly which of these children will take any given request.
This depends on who is first to grab the accept lock.  See the "Accept
Serialization" section of
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/perf-tuning.html

If that doesn't answer your question, you need to be more specific
about what you want to know and why.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] How Apache manages all its children - Add More Info

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
jayaram.g@tcs.com wrote:

> I wonder if anybody has tried Windows prefork for Apache 2.2.2.

The issue is the lack-of-fork in the Win32 API.  It's supported at the ntdll
layer, meaning that all the win32-ism's such as their thread-local storage
model don't survive the fork() at all.  For pure NT kernel code it would be
fine, for blended code (even the clib uses the Win32 API) it's very quirky.

> Prefork model adds to the stability I feel.

For buggy modules you are absolutely right, it disrupts only the connection
which caused the instability - and requests which don't trigger the bugs
continue to work fine.

> I am not sure if code in one thread corrupts the heap what will happen?

Same as in worker (for every thread within one process)

Re: [users@httpd] How Apache manages all its children - Add More Info

Posted by ja...@tcs.com.
Hi,
In windows Apache creates 2 processes. Prefork is not supported on
wondows.

Process 1 has minimum  of three threads as below.

worker_main ( actall thread which does the work coded in modules. More
threads are spawned accoding to the configuration on httpd.conf )
winnt_accept
and __tmainCRTStartup

Process 2 also has three threads.
service_nt_main_fn
service_nt_despatch_thread
and __tnaibStartup.

I wonder if anybody has tried Windows prefork for Apache 2.2.2.  Prefork
model adds to the stability I feel. I am not sure if code in one thread
corrupts the heap what will happen? Will the Apache stopping further
requests which actually goes through the happy path of the code?  Do we
need to restart the Apache??

Regards,

Jayaram Ganapathy

"Steve Swift" <st...@gmail.com>
08/14/2006 12:10 PM
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [users@httpd] How Apache manages all its children

You can see some information on the child processes by enabling the /info
URL in httpd.conf - but you probably knew that already.

On 14/08/06, Qingshan Xie <xi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi,

   I am curious how Apache manages all children, which
of them are in the service to clients, which of them
are Idle, etc.? Can some one give me a brief
description or refer me a URL/books?

Many Thanks, Q.Xie

Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk
ForwardSourceID:NT000168DE
=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: [users@httpd] How Apache manages all its children

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.
You can see some information on the child processes by enabling the /info
URL in httpd.conf - but you probably knew that already.

On 14/08/06, Qingshan Xie <xi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I am curious how Apache manages all children, which
> of them are in the service to clients, which of them
> are Idle, etc.? Can some one give me a brief
> description or refer me a URL/books?
>
> Many Thanks, Q.Xie

Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk