Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by mariotti <fa...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/08 04:16:42 UTC

Re: RMI null GenericValue userLogin problem.

Done!

I have all the possible calls done with RMI. It works great. Debugging was a
pain.

The worst problem was to deal with the logger.

I will be happy to give here details only if you ask explicitly.

But, Why should I use SOAP?
Or better, why did you use sOAP?

Re: RMI null GenericValue userLogin problem.

Posted by mariotti <fa...@gmail.com>.
Would you mind to argument.
I mean, I get your point. But I still do not see what better security I can
offer beside an internal network.
Indeed the transfer is fully encrypted externally. It is only our backside
which should deal with it.

Re: RMI null GenericValue userLogin problem.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I would definitely say that transfering data between two endpoints must go
through an encrypted tunnel. No matter what the protocol is. Not only could
you be transmitting business critical data, but also privacy sensitive data.

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
On Monday, January 13, 2014 8:39 PM, fab.mariotti@gmail.com wrote
> mmm...
> Then probably "fastness" is a relative concept.
>
> What I would like to achieve is an external application which uses ofbiz and
> scales.
>
> The application might not need to access ofbiz all the time, i.e. it should
> scales on its own by spawning
> itself on different servers (see amazon ec2). I think that using RMI in this
> context might make sense (correct me please)

Yes as long as you don't fear firewalls settings

> because the overload of "serialization" is on the client (which can scale
> easier),
> and I think there is even a bit more then simple serialization because
> RMI insist on executing on the client side part of the code before the
> actual serialization.
> (it is not only required the interface to the objects, but also the actual
> code, see for example my problem with the logger)

Sorry, I don't remember your problem with the logger :)

> I am not an expert in RMI! This is only reverse engineering! I might be
> wrong!
>
> This was a new concept for me, coming from plain old RPC.
>
> Indeed REST is probably "network" fast but would not account for the load on
> the servers. (not that RMI does).
> Or in other words you might need to scale ofbiz itself. It is already a
> solution I am considering.
> If all MySQL calls can be assumed to be atomic, which should be the case.
>
> I guess that the optimal solution is the one that works.
> But in this respect: would OfBiz move toward REST?

I don't see that moves coming soon. OFBiz was built in the pre REST era. Then SOAP was the defacto web services standard.
Something to consider, though bloated SOAP is still ahead of REST in term of security
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/853620/secure-web-services-rest-over-https-vs-soap-ws-security-which-is-better
If you need most secured RMI, then use SSH Tunneling http://www.javaranch.com/journal/2003/10/rmi-ssh_p1.html

>And optimize it for that?
> Or would it move toward a solid accounting engine library?

Hu? How it relates?

Jacques

Posted by mariotti <fa...@gmail.com>.
mmm...
[...]

But in this respect: would OfBiz move toward REST? And optimize it for that?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
On Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:34 PM, fab.mariotti@gmail.com wrote
> Then you agree with me that RMI should be (faster). For reasons I do not
> grasp yet.

Less verbose than any others, objects are sent serialized on the wire. Also another concern, objects must be serializable

> To achieve REST you should had to modify pretty good amount
> of ofbiz services or done a lot of serialization on top of SOAP.

I must say I only used external REST services.

> For Jacques indeed: how easy is to do REST?

In OFBiz there is nothing really RESTful. Chris Snow made some efforts in 2010, but did not complete.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/REST+Service+Implementation
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Export+service+using+REST
Adrian also began something more recently in Jira
And in 2010 also Chatree contributed something (hard to review)

HTH

Jacques

Posted by mariotti <fa...@gmail.com>.
RMI is indeed a pain.

Especially while developing, even without a firewall!

I think in particular because of the way RMI works.

I had to disable the logger here:

disable.log4j.config=true

because it would keep looking for a local logger.... which I did not have.
That single line was my most pain, in particular for missing error
information.

I could then revers engineering every call and that was a trumpet! (I
slightly like violins).

Then you agree with me that RMI should be (faster). For reasons I do not
grasp yet.

To achieve REST you should had to modify pretty good amount
of ofbiz services or done a lot of serialization on top of SOAP.

Right now I am prototyping and I would not yet go for a big adventure.
(even if RMI alone was a good deal of work)
But of course I appreciate already the answer!

I would be happy to help for any simple RMI question. But because I cannot
follow everything
drop in this discussion a reference to a question.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
On Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:16 AM, fab.mariotti@gmail.com wrote
> Done!
>
> I have all the possible calls done with RMI. It works great. Debugging was a
> pain.
>
> The worst problem was to deal with the logger.
>
> I will be happy to give here details only if you ask explicitly.
>
> But, Why should I use SOAP?
> Or better, why did you use sOAP?

Actually I often used SOAP because it was a requirement for projects. But then why this requirement? Because of firewalls RMI can be a pain.
With my last large project, we began mostly with SOAP, had some RMI (faster) and finally ended with mostly REST

HTH

Jacques