Posted to user@ode.apache.org by Stan Angeloff <st...@angeloff.name> on 2014/11/04 09:06:38 UTC

Is it 'safe' to restart Apache ODE (Tomcat)?

Hi,

I have been, for a while, wondering whether it is 'safe' to restart Apache
ODE (Tomcat)? The situation I have in mind is the following: a new process
is deployed which is a complex maze of 'If's, loops, etc. 10, 000 new
instances are created and are left to run for 7 days making it halfway
through the process.

At this point, with 10, 000 active instances and still lots to do, is it
'safe' to gracefully stop the application server and then start it again?
To define safe: all processes will finish any external calls that they are
making, persist any state to the database and restore that state
successfully on next start.

In the past, I've restarted ODE numerous times, but never observed what
happens to on-going external calls. For most cases, the state appears to be
resolved correctly and the engine continues to execute the processes
normally. I have had cases where state is lost, however that's mostly due
to the database becoming saturated with connections and unrelated to the
question at hand.

Any thoughts you may have will be very much appreciated,
Stan

Re: Is it 'safe' to restart Apache ODE (Tomcat)?

Posted by Stan Angeloff <st...@angeloff.name>.
Thank you for taking the time to reply Sathwik, that makes total sense.

Posted by Sathwik B P <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stan,