Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Romain Gilles <ro...@thomsonreuters.com> on 2009/02/18 08:31:16 UTC

RE: Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive invocation

Is it a dangerous for my build ?
If yes, how can I find where the problem comes from ?

Thanks,

Romain.

Posted by mfs <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

Though I see this warning (while using javadoc plugin), but so far its not
been a worry for me and everything is working fine. Still I had some
questions for the maven experts here to get a better understanding of
this...

Stephen mentioned in this thread, that it would be dangerous if the
plugin:mojo is NOT removed from the forked lifecycle, since the mojo could
cause yet another forked lifecycle and hence result in a recursive
invocation.

QUESTION 1 - Isn't the above statement only true, IF the forked-lifecyle
(caused by the mojo execution) passes through (or reaches) the PARTICULARLY
phase where the plugin was injected or configured to execute at the first
place. For example, I know the javadoc:javadoc mojo forks a new lifecycle
till the "generate-sources" phase before executing the javadoc mojo itself,
now lets say If I had injected the javadoc mojo to the "install" phase,
there is NO danger of recursive invocation, since the new forked-lifecyle
initiated by the javadoc mojo never reaches the install phase. Yes, If
instead I had hooked the javadoc:javadoc mojo to the "generate-sources" (or
any of the earlier) phase , then certainly I see the execution getting stuck
in a recursive loop.. Please comment...

QUESTION 2 - I see the "Removing [mojo] from forked lifecycle, to prevent
recursive invocation" warning only if i inject the mojo (e.g. javadoc) to
the build cycle phases (be it clean, default or even site lifecyle phase)
using the <build> section. If Instead I move the same definition to
<reporting> section, which in other word means the plugin/mojo would only
execute in the site lifecyle (if i am not wrong) then I don't see the
warning at all. I wonder why is that ? Isn't the danger of recursive
invocation still there (ignoring my first question) ?

Thanks in advance,

Farhan.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.