Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com> on 2012/11/20 19:36:53 UTC

Static Analysis Tools

Folks

I want to get your opinion on using static analysis tools like PMD for CloudStack to catch some of the bugs early on. Maven has a plugin for PMD  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-pmd-plugin/

Thanks
Animesh

Re: Static Analysis Tools

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Sonar analysis of Cloudstack is also available via nemo portal at:

http://nemo.sonarsource.org/dashboard/index/org.apache.cloudstack:cloudstack

-sebastien

RE: Static Analysis Tools

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
David

Thanks for the link. Sonar is more of a platform and uses PMD, FindBugs, CheckStyle etc. as  plugins. Looks like in this installation  it is using FindBugs. Can you or someone confirm?

Thanks
Animesh

Re: Static Analysis Tools

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
Yes.  https://my.fortifyondemand.com/login.jsp ;)

For those who want to become part of the ACS security team, contact the PPMC.  We don't have a formal process to accept new members, but I do want to manage who has access in case of sensitive info in the future.

Stratosec<http://stratosec.co/> - Secure Infrastructure as a Service
o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella<http://twitter.com/johnlkinsella>

On Dec 4, 2012, at 10:34 AM, Demetrius Tsitrelis <De...@citrix.com>> wrote:

At the conference you showed a URL with the results.  Is that publicly available?

Posted by Demetrius Tsitrelis <De...@citrix.com>.

 wrote:

> I have used Coverity in the past for commercial projects with very
> good success.  I did a quick google search and looks like Coverity has
> a program for open source software quality which can potentially
> leveraged for CloudStack. Here is the link
> http://scan.coverity.com/getting-started.html

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

RE: Static Analysis Tools

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
Agreed

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

 wrote:

> John
>
> Agreed to your points on limiting exposure to security vulnerability but Coverity is not known for security analysis. I am not advocating any tool in particular the intent is more to catch bugs early on.
>
> Thanks
> Animesh

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

RE: Static Analysis Tools

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
John

 wrote:

> I have used Coverity in the past for commercial projects with very
> good success.  I did a quick google search and looks like Coverity has
> a program for open source software quality which can potentially
> leveraged for CloudStack. Here is the link
> http://scan.coverity.com/getting-started.html

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

Re: Static Analysis Tools

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

 wrote:

> I have used Coverity in the past for commercial projects with very good success.  I did a quick google search and looks like Coverity has a program for open source software quality which can potentially leveraged for CloudStack. Here is the link http://scan.coverity.com/getting-started.html

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

RE: Static Analysis Tools

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

 wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Animesh Chaturvedi
> <an...@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Folks
>>
>> I want to get your opinion on using static analysis tools like PMD
>> for CloudStack to catch some of the bugs early on. Maven has a plugin
>> for PMD  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-pmd-plugin/
>>
>> Thanks
>> Animesh
>
> So we have Sonar (analysis.apache.org) sorta in place - doesn't mean
> we can't do something else, but this exists.
> https://analysis.apache.org/dashboard/index/100206
>
> --David

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

Re: Static Analysis Tools

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

 wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Animesh Chaturvedi
> <an...@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Folks
>>
>> I want to get your opinion on using static analysis tools like PMD for CloudStack to catch some of the bugs early on. Maven has a plugin for PMD  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-pmd-plugin/
>>
>> Thanks
>> Animesh
>
> So we have Sonar (analysis.apache.org) sorta in place - doesn't mean
> we can't do something else, but this exists.
> https://analysis.apache.org/dashboard/index/100206
>
> --David

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella