Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> on 2010/04/17 09:20:38 UTC

official GIT repository / switch to GIT?

Hi,

at least since august 2009 nobody has dared to ask this question, so let's
start a flamewar:
Don't you think, it's time for lucene and solr to switch to GIT?

And now seriously:
I did the last packaging of SOLR 1.4 for Debian and I intend to continue doing
so. Since I'm doing the packaging in GIT, I'm asking myself, whether I should
base the packaging GIT repository on the SOLR repo found at git.apache.org?
However if the one from git.a.o is not stable and may crash at any given time,
this would not be a good idea.
And the best thing for those packagers like me would be of course, if the GIT
repo would be the official one.

And I wonder, if there are really people using SVN and downloading douzens of
patch files from jira? Isn't it, that everybody already uses git-svn?

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Re: official GIT repository / switch to GIT?

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 2010-04-17 12:57, Earwin Burrfoot wrote:
> Why can't people just use svn or mercurial as a client for subversion
> repository?
> What is the benefit of migrating repository itself?

I think CVS and SVN mentality is too deeply ingrained in the ASF culture
... To Thomas - use git-svn and the problem is solved (for you).

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: official GIT repository / switch to GIT?

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:20, Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> at least since august 2009 nobody has dared to ask this question, so let's
> start a flamewar:
> Don't you think, it's time for lucene and solr to switch to GIT?
>
> And now seriously:
> I did the last packaging of SOLR 1.4 for Debian and I intend to continue doing
> so. Since I'm doing the packaging in GIT, I'm asking myself, whether I should
> base the packaging GIT repository on the SOLR repo found at git.apache.org?
> However if the one from git.a.o is not stable and may crash at any given time,
> this would not be a good idea.
> And the best thing for those packagers like me would be of course, if the GIT
> repo would be the official one.
>
> And I wonder, if there are really people using SVN and downloading douzens of
> patch files from jira? Isn't it, that everybody already uses git-svn?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

ICQ: 104465785

Re: official GIT repository / switch to GIT?

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
"What I remember from my last SVN job and see from still not illuminated
collegues: With SVN you tend to have uncommitted code lying around on your
machine for days or even weeks until it's ready to get committed to the
central repository. - I don't need to tell you the problems with this."

Yes. Also, I tend to build up extra files for this and that projects.
Switching branches in place using git forces me to take care of these.
Git is, in general, good stuff. The Eclipse eGIT project is in beta
but I'm finding it easy to use.

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: official GIT repository / switch to GIT?

Posted by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro>.
Hi Mark,

Mark Bennett:

Posted by Mark Bennett <mb...@ideaeng.com>.
Hi Thomas,

[...]

Mark Bennett / New Idea Engineering, Inc. / mbennett@ideaeng.com
Direct: 408-733-0387 / Main: 866-IDEA-ENG / Cell: 408-829-6513

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
It's not up to Lucene and Solr, as it is an Apache Infrastructure thing.  It is also unclear as to provenance w/ GIT.  So, even for all of GITs benefits, it's a non-starter at this point Foundation wise, so no need for a flamewar at all.

For the record, yes, I deal with dozens of patches at a time through SVN, and I suspect most other committers do too.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thomas,

  As you could have found out by reading the exact same thread which
comes up every time someone asks this question, no ASF project will
be on git at any point in the forseeable future.

  And no, most people I know of use git-svn.  They do it "the old
fashioned way", with multiple checkouts and downloaded patches.

  But Grant - I don't think the provenance of the code is much of
a problem, you could certainly still have only "committers" have
write access to the "master" git repo, right?  It's not like the
Linux source tree has any trouble keeping track of where stuff
comes from, and they've got even more reason to make sure that
their code is of reliable provenance than ours.

  It would just take a huge change of culture to get that kind of
thinking in the Apache world, and so it's not going to happen until
the majority of the committers have been primarily using git (or
something like it - on other projects, for other reasons) for many
years.

  -jake

  -jake

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Yeah I forgot about that. But yes, I'm running from the apache
lucene-solr GIT with Eclipse & 'egit'. Egit is in beta but I'm a git
rookie & haven't tripped over anything major.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> O, I don't really care myself (= won't notice it not showing up), I'm
> on mercurial :)
> Just pointed out the dead link.
>
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 03:27, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Aha, missed that. Github's not yet synced though, says - that page
>>> doesn't exist!
>>
>> Github pulls new mirrors from us only every now and then. If it
>> doesn't show up within the next few days, you may want to contact
>> their support for the status.
>>
>> BR,
>>
>> Jukka Zitting

> Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (earwin@gmail.com)
> Home / Mobile: +7 (495) 683-567-4 / +7 (903) 5-888-423
> ICQ: 104465785

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: official GIT repository / switch to GIT?

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
O, I don't really care myself (= won't notice it not showing up), I'm
on mercurial :)
Just pointed out the dead link.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 03:27, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aha, missed that. Github's not yet synced though, says - that page
>> doesn't exist!
>
> Github pulls new mirrors from us only every now and then. If it
> doesn't show up within the next few days, you may want to contact
> their support for the status.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

ICQ: 104465785

Re: official GIT repository / switch to GIT?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 02:58, Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Already done.
>
> http://github.com/apache/lucene-solr
>
> Search for git.apache.org for 'lucene' and you'll see.
>
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> These are broken, by the way.
>> We need to kick someone to merge entries for lucene&solr and point
>> them to a new svn url.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 04:10, John Wang <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Thomas:
>>>      There is a git mirror already: http://github.com/apache/lucene
>>>      All of apache projects are: http://git.apache.org/
>>>      You are free to use git. Apache is running a git-svn server somewhere,
>>> although the repository itself is not git, but you can use it as one.
>>> Hope this helps.
>>> -John

ICQ: 104465785

Re: official GIT repository / switch to GIT?

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Already done.

http://github.com/apache/lucene-solr

Search for git.apache.org for 'lucene' and you'll see.

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> These are broken, by the way.
> We need to kick someone to merge entries for lucene&solr and point
> them to a new svn url.
>
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 04:10, John Wang <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Thomas:
>>      There is a git mirror already: http://github.com/apache/lucene
>>      All of apache projects are: http://git.apache.org/
>>      You are free to use git. Apache is running a git-svn server somewhere,
>> although the repository itself is not git, but you can use it as one.
>> Hope this helps.
>> -John
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In my opinion: Definitely NOT!
>>>
>>> -----
>>> Uwe Schindler
>>> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
>>> http://www.thetaphi.de

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: official GIT repository / switch to GIT?

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
These are broken, by the way.
We need to kick someone to merge entries for lucene&solr and point
them to a new svn url.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 04:10, John Wang <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas:
>      There is a git mirror already: http://github.com/apache/lucene
>      All of apache projects are: http://git.apache.org/
>      You are free to use git. Apache is running a git-svn server somewhere,
> although the repository itself is not git, but you can use it as one.
> Hope this helps.
> -John
>

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In my opinion: Definitely NOT!
>>
>> -----
>> Uwe Schindler
>> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
>> http://www.thetaphi.de

ICQ: 104465785

Re: official GIT repository / switch to GIT?

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thomas:

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> at least since august 2009 nobody has dared to ask this question, so let's
> start a flamewar:
> Don't you think, it's time for lucene and solr to switch to GIT?

Since, you asked: No.

> And I wonder, if there are really people using SVN and downloading douzens
> of
> patch files from jira? Isn't it, that everybody already uses git-svn?

No.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com