Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org> on 2019/07/17 06:07:16 UTC

[VOTE] Force "squash and merge" option for PR merge on github UI

Hi,

Github UI (ui!) helps to merge Pull Requests to the proposed branch.
There are three different ways to do it [1]:

1. Keep all the different commits from the PR branch and create one
additional merge commit ("Create a merge commit")

2. Squash all the commits and commit the change as one patch ("Squash
and merge")

3. Keep all the different commits from the PR branch but rebase, merge
commit will be missing ("Rebase and merge")

As only the option 2 is compatible with the existing development
practices of Hadoop (1 issue = 1 patch = 1 commit), I call for a lazy
consensus vote: If no objections withing 3 days, I will ask INFRA to
disable the options 1 and 3 to make the process less error prone.

Please let me know, what do you think,

Thanks a lot
Marton

ps: Personally I prefer to merge from local as it enables to sign the
commits and do a final build before push. But this is a different story,
this proposal is only about removing the options which are obviously
risky...

ps2: You can always do any kind of merge / commits from CLI, for example
to merge a feature branch together with keeping the history.

[1]:
https://help.github.com/en/articles/merging-a-pull-request#merging-a-pull-request-on-github

Re: [VOTE] Force "squash and merge" option for PR merge on github UI

Posted by Da Zhou <da...@gmail.com>.
sounds good!  +1

Regards,
Da

Posted by Da Zhou <da...@gmail.com>.
sounds good!  +1

Posted by Da Zhou <da...@gmail.com>.
sounds good!  +1

Posted by Da Zhou <da...@gmail.com>.
sounds good!  +1

Posted by Da Zhou <da...@gmail.com>.
sounds good!  +1

Posted by Dinesh Chitlangia <dc...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1, this is certainly useful.

Posted by Dinesh Chitlangia <dc...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1, this is certainly useful.

Posted by Dinesh Chitlangia <dc...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1, this is certainly useful.

Posted by Dinesh Chitlangia <dc...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1, this is certainly useful.

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
Makes sense, +1

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
Makes sense, +1

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
Makes sense, +1

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
Makes sense, +1

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
Makes sense, +1

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
+1. Sounds good to me.

Posted by Sunil Govindan <su...@apache.org>.
Hi All

INFRA-18777 is closed and github UI has disabled #1 and #3. Only Squash and
Merge is possible.
Could we start using this option (merge from UI) from now onwards ?

- Sunil

Posted by Sunil Govindan <su...@apache.org>.
Hi All

Posted by Sunil Govindan <su...@apache.org>.
Hi All

Posted by Sunil Govindan <su...@apache.org>.
Hi All

Posted by Sunil Govindan <su...@apache.org>.
Hi All

Posted by Bharat Viswanadham <bv...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 for squash and merge.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
+1. Sounds good to me.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
+1. Sounds good to me.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
+1. Sounds good to me.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
+1. Sounds good to me.

Posted by Iñigo Goiri <el...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Iñigo Goiri <el...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Iñigo Goiri <el...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Iñigo Goiri <el...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Iñigo Goiri <el...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
Makes sense, +1.

Thanks
+Vinod

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.
Thanks for all the positive feedback,

I opened INFRA-18777 to request the proposed change.

Marton

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
+1

Posted by Mukul Kumar Singh <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1, Lets have Squash and merge as the default & only option on github UI.

Thanks,
Mukul

Posted by Gabor Bota <ga...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 Good idea.