Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2013/01/29 23:00:14 UTC

text for release announcement for 10.8.3.0

Hi,

After the delays in publishing because of the move to CMS of the
website, Kathey contacted me to take over because she did not have
time, and then I ran into troubles and a family emergency.
But finally, I think I took all the remaining steps before the
announcement. So, the next step is the announcement. It's a little
strange as we made the release quite a while ago...

I'd like to finish the last few steps soon, so I'd like any feedback
by tomorrow...

Here's the text I propose to send out:
The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce maintenance release
10.8.3.0. This is a bug fix release following the 10.8.2.2 release.

Apache Derby is a subproject of the Apache DB project. Derby is a pure
Java relational database engine which conforms to the ISO/ANSI SQL and
JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers and end-users to
work with.

Derby 10.8.3.0 can be obtained from the Derby download site:

   http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html.

Please consider upgrading earlier 10.8 releases to this.
Note also, that all fixes in this release are also implemented in the
10.9.1.0 release, released earlier in 2012.

Thx,
Myrna

Re: text for release announcement for 10.8.3.0

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:45 AM, Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Thanks to Kathey for starting this release and thanks to Myrna for carrying
> it forward. One comment inline...
>

> On 1/29/13 2:00 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> After the delays in publishing because of the move to CMS of the
>> website, Kathey contacted me to take over because she did not have
>> time, and then I ran into troubles and a family emergency.
>> But finally, I think I took all the remaining steps before the
>> announcement. So, the next step is the announcement. It's a little
>> strange as we made the release quite a while ago...
>>
>> I'd like to finish the last few steps soon, so I'd like any feedback
>> by tomorrow...
>>
>> Here's the text I propose to send out:
>> The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce maintenance release
>> 10.8.3.0. This is a bug fix release following the 10.8.2.2 release.
>>
>> Apache Derby is a subproject of the Apache DB project. Derby is a pure
>> Java relational database engine which conforms to the ISO/ANSI SQL and
>> JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers and end-users to
>> work with.
>>
>> Derby 10.8.3.0 can be obtained from the Derby download site:
>>
>>     http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html.
>>
>> Please consider upgrading earlier 10.8 releases to this.
>> Note also, that all fixes in this release are also implemented in the
>> 10.9.1.0 release, released earlier in 2012.
>
> I don't believe this is true. Many fixes were added to the 10.8 and 10.9
> branches after 10.9.1 was created. Those fixes turn up in 10.8.3 and will
> turn up in 10.9.2, but they don't appear in 10.9.1. Here's one example:

> -Rick

>> Thx,
>> Myrna

Thanks Rick, of course you're right. I'll just leave out reference to
10.9.1, then.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Thanks to Kathey for starting this release and thanks to Myrna for
carrying it forward. One comment inline...

On 1/29/13 2:00 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After the delays in publishing because of the move to CMS of the
> website, Kathey contacted me to take over because she did not have
> time, and then I ran into troubles and a family emergency.
> But finally, I think I took all the remaining steps before the
> announcement. So, the next step is the announcement. It's a little
> strange as we made the release quite a while ago...
>
> I'd like to finish the last few steps soon, so I'd like any feedback
> by tomorrow...
>
> Here's the text I propose to send out:
> The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce maintenance release
> 10.8.3.0. This is a bug fix release following the 10.8.2.2 release.
>
> Apache Derby is a subproject of the Apache DB project. Derby is a pure
> Java relational database engine which conforms to the ISO/ANSI SQL and
> JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers and end-users to
> work with.
>
> Derby 10.8.3.0 can be obtained from the Derby download site:
>
>     http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html.
>
> Please consider upgrading earlier 10.8 releases to this.
> Note also, that all fixes in this release are also implemented in the
> 10.9.1.0 release, released earlier in 2012.
I don't believe this is true. Many fixes were added to the 10.8 and 10.9
branches after 10.9.1 was created. Those fixes turn up in 10.8.3 and
will turn up in 10.9.2, but they don't appear in 10.9.1. Here's one
example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5918

Thanks,
-Rick