Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Gary Shea <sh...@gtsdesign.com> on 2003/08/15 06:05:43 UTC

unit testing code using torque

I'm wondering what kind of solutions folks have come up with for unit
testing code that uses Torque?  I'm just starting to think about it and
have some vague notion of subclassing Torque objects to prevent real db
stuff from happening...

        Gary

Re: unit testing code using torque

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@brekke.org>.
We've done that using inner classes to prevent save() from actually
doing something to the db.  Generally we don't *test* torque generated
classes straight out.  But we do write some tests that need the om
objects as fixtures or when we add behavior to them.

I haven't been tracking torque lately, but there was talk of
generating interfaces for all om objects, this way the underlying
implementation could be changed out since you would code to the
interface.  This would also allow you to mock ( via
mockobject,easymock,etc ) the generated om interfaces which would be
pretty nice for testing.  Not sure if that is possible yet with torque
though.

The other thing is to just blaze up Torque standalone and let it hit a
testing database server.  We do this also, but actually going through
the db for all tests will be slow.  I'm trying to only do that for a
*few* tests.

Posted by David Hainlin <dh...@comcast.net>.
Hi Gary,
I've done a fair amount of JUnit testing around Torque based projects.
Except in a few specialized classes, I've never found the need to
provide mock torque classes as most of the OM and business related code
really does depend on data Torque is fetching for me.  Most of my Torque
Peer extensions have been very straightforward. This type of approach
does require some careful DB planning, and a 'resettable' test database.
 Most of my unit tests that work from different levels (say struts mock
objects) either back out any db changes or invoke a 'set up test db'
script.  This keeps everything repeatable.  On a larger project with
many developers, we had the good fortune to own all of the schema.  The
deployment was Oracle but I tested using mySQL with pretty good success.
 On projects with less db control and with many developers running unit
tests, I've resorted to id ranging (David gets 1000 through 10000,
Ramesh gets 10000 through 20000, etc...).  If you plan ahead, you can
set your 'production' or 'integrated' torque id generation to start
above these levels.

I'm curious about your thoughts on this I'd be interested in hearing
about your experiences.

David

Re: SQL 2 xml

Posted by Sgarlata Matt <sg...@bah.com>.
The jdbc task handles foreign keys properly for me, although this may
depend on the database (I have no idea).  I am using Oracle.

One thing about the task is that it doesn't always generate a file that
will correctly generate your torque classes on the first try using the
om task.  It wasn't too difficult for me to fix the file that was
generated, so hopefully it won't be for you either.  The jdbc task was
definitely a huge time-saver for my project!

Matt

Dave Newton wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 15:12, Sgarlata Matt wrote:
>
>>The jdbc ant task will take care of this for you.  Just type
>>
>>ant -f build-torque.xml jdbc
>

> Heck, I didn't know that. Thanks! (And thanks for keeping it on the
> list; dangling questions w/o known answers don't help the global
> knowledge pool any!)
>
> Can't check for myself here, but does it correctly handle keys
> (especially foreign) properly?
>
> Dave

Matthew Sgarlata
Senior Consultant
Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.
Work: 703-377-0871
Fax: 703-902-3608

Re: SQL 2 xml

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@solaraccess.com>.

RE: SQL 2 xml

Posted by Brian Adams <bi...@satx.rr.com>.
Thank you that worked perfectly. :)
Brian

Posted by Sgarlata Matt <sg...@bah.com>.

Brian Adams wrote:

> Hello Torquers!
> 	I may have missed this but does Torque have a way to connect to a database
> and generate a xml schema?  In the tutorial it says to type all your tables
> in xml. I have hundreds of tables that I would like to use Torque as the om.
> Please help???
> Thanks,
> Brian Adams

Matthew Sgarlata