Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/25 04:07:02 UTC

Can pull requests be accepted without ICLA?

Hello,

Now, there are some PRs for bugs(Not [NETBEANS-54] Module Review) in
GitHub. Some authors may not sign ICLA. Can we merge them without
ICLA?

Thanks,
Junichi

Re: Can pull requests be accepted without ICLA?

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hey,

Am Samstag, den 25.11.2017, 12:21 +0100 schrieb Antonio:
> I would prefer so. Otherwise the contributions should be rejected, IMHO.
>
> The Apache OFBiz, for example, introduced this policy in 2014, as per [1].
>
> Signing the ICLA is very easy, and gives us the confidence that we won't
> be sued in the future because someone is claiming intellectual rights
> over the code.
>
> [1]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+Contributors
>
> El 25/11/17 a las 05:07, Junichi Yamamoto escribió:
> > Now, there are some PRs for bugs(Not [NETBEANS-54] Module Review) in
> > GitHub. Some authors may not sign ICLA. Can we merge them without
> > ICLA?

I would prefer a ICLA, but according to apache legal it is not strictly
required:

I'm a bit ambivalent about this. Requiring an ICLA will hinder "drive-
by" contributions, but it would make it easier/safer.

Given that we'll need contributors and contributors are the source for
committers, I'd tend not to require an ICLA at this point.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Can pull requests be accepted without ICLA?

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
I would prefer so. Otherwise the contributions should be rejected, IMHO.

The Apache OFBiz, for example, introduced this policy in 2014, as per [1].

Signing the ICLA is very easy, and gives us the confidence that we won't
be sued in the future because someone is claiming intellectual rights
over the code.

Just my 2 cents,
Antonio

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
> by being too bureaucratic

I don't mean it at all, of course. I am just worried that problems
occur without the ICLA :)

Umm, it's very ambiguous... OK. I would not ask contributors anything
about the ICLA.

Thanks,
Junichi

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.