Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Markus KARG <ka...@quipsy.de> on 2006/09/18 14:49:19 UTC

Confused of build number schema

In "BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf" I have read the following:

"In the current version scheme, the snapshot (as shown above)
is a special case where the qualifier and build number are both allowed.
In a regular version, you can
provide only the qualifier, or only the build number. It is intended
that the qualifier indicates a version
prior to release (for example, alpha-1, beta-1, rc1), while the build
number is an increment after
release to indicate patched builds."

In fact I am confused now. The first sentence tells that "-1" is only
allowed with "-SNAPSHOT". The second sentence shows an example where
"-1" is used together with "alpha". But actually "alpha" is not
"SNAPSHOT". So the example is forbidden. Strange. Confusing.

Later there is a sentence telling that "1.2-beta-1 is newer than
1.2-beta". So actually "-1" seems to be allowed not only with "SNAPSHOT"
but also with "beta"...?!

Can somebody explain to me the deeper logic of that? I mean, either "-1"
os only allowed with "SNAPSHOT", or it is not. OR: "beta" is TREATED
like SNAPSHOT?

I do not understand this.
Please explain...

Thanks