Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "S.A. Birl" <sb...@concept.temple.edu> on 2004/09/24 20:35:09 UTC

[users@httpd] 2.0.51, httpd.conf, Regex could not be compiled

I tried upgrading from 2.0.49 to .51 today.

Everything seemed to go OK; ./configure didnt die, nor did make.
But when I started the .51 binary, I received:

"
Syntax error on line 447 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
Regex could not be compiled
"

Line 447:
<Files ~ "*Susie_Sorrento*">

I did a 'httpd -l' on both the .49 and .51 binaries and they have the same
modules (with the exception of adding --enable-log-forensic for .51)

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-v4-mapped --enable-log-forensic --enable-expires --enable-headers --enable-unique-id --enable-ssl --enable-static-support --enable-static-rotatelogs --enable-static-logresolve --enable-info --enable-cgi --enable-speling --enable-rewrite --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl

So what happened between .49 and .51 that regex could not be complied?
I wouldnt think that --enable-log-forensic would cause the problem
though Im going to try removing that anyway.

Thanks in advance

 Scott Birl
 Senior Systems Administrator            Computer Services   Temple University
 1805 North Broad Street  Philadelphia   Pennsylvania 19122  United States

Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.51, httpd.conf, Regex could not be compiled

Posted by "S.A. Birl" <sb...@concept.temple.edu>.
On Sep 24, Joshua Slive (nospam-jslive@gmail.com.ns) typed:

Joshua:  > Line 447:
Joshua:  > <Files ~ "*Susie_Sorrento*">
Joshua:
Joshua:  I believe some extra error checking was added for regexes in .50 or .51.
Joshua:
Joshua:  In any case, the error message is correct.  Your regex makes no sense.
Joshua:   The "*" character means "match zero or more of the last character".
Joshua:  So it makes no sense to have the "*" at the start of the string where
Joshua:  there is no last character.
Joshua:
Joshua:  Probably what you want is to simply remove the "~".  Then the "*" will
Joshua:  be interpreted according to shell-wildcard rules (match any character
Joshua:  except the "/").

I can always count you to have a great answer!  Thanks.  It worked.
Regexs were never my strong point.

Though I suppose the error message could be little more specific:
"Regex could not be compiled.  What type of expression is that?!"

Compiled is not the best word to use.  I was searching the modules
for regex; I thought regex was moved and I forgot to compile it in.

Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.51, httpd.conf, Regex could not be compiled

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:35:09 -0400 (EDT), S.A. Birl
<sb...@concept.temple.edu> wrote:
> I tried upgrading from 2.0.49 to .51 today.
>
> Everything seemed to go OK; ./configure didnt die, nor did make.
> But when I started the .51 binary, I received:
>
> "
> Syntax error on line 447 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> Regex could not be compiled
> "
>
> Line 447:
> <Files ~ "*Susie_Sorrento*">

I believe some extra error checking was added for regexes in .50 or .51.

In any case, the error message is correct.  Your regex makes no sense.
 The "*" character means "match zero or more of the last character".
So it makes no sense to have the "*" at the start of the string where
there is no last character.

Probably what you want is to simply remove the "~".  Then the "*" will
be interpreted according to shell-wildcard rules (match any character
except the "/").

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.51, httpd.conf, Regex could not be compiled

Posted by Eugene <ht...@infosatgeomatica.com>.
Hello. Just for info: I know from tomcat users list that 2.0.51 has a problems with
Satisfy directives also.

> I tried upgrading from 2.0.49 to .51 today.

> Everything seemed to go OK; ./configure didnt die, nor did make.
> But when I started the .51 binary, I received:

> "
> Syntax error on line 447 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> Regex could not be compiled
> "

> Line 447:
> <Files ~ "*Susie_Sorrento*">

> I did a 'httpd -l' on both the .49 and .51 binaries and they have the same
> modules (with the exception of adding --enable-log-forensic for .51)

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-v4-mapped
> --enable-log-forensic --enable-expires --enable-headers
> --enable-unique-id --enable-ssl --enable-static-support
> --enable-static-rotatelogs --enable-static-logresolve --enable-info
> --enable-cgi --enable-speling --enable-rewrite
> --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl

> So what happened between .49 and .51 that regex could not be complied?
> I wouldnt think that --enable-log-forensic would cause the problem
> though Im going to try removing that anyway.

> Thanks in advance

>  Scott Birl
>  Senior Systems Administrator            Computer Services   Temple University
>  1805 North Broad Street  Philadelphia   Pennsylvania 19122  United States

Best regards,
 Eugene                            mailto:httpd.subscribe@infosatgeomatica.com

Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.51, httpd.conf, Regex could not be compiled

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* "S.A. Birl" <sb...@concept.temple.edu> wrote:

> "
> Syntax error on line 447 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> Regex could not be compiled
> "
> Line 447:
> <Files ~ "*Susie_Sorrento*">
>

> I did a 'httpd -l' on both the .49 and .51 binaries and they have the same
> modules (with the exception of adding --enable-log-forensic for .51)

Well... Your regex never compiled. But starting with 2.0.50 the httpd checks
all the regex compiler return codes, which were forgotten before.

I think, you even don't want a regex here, but

<Files "*Susie_Sorrento*">

(without the tilde it uses simple wildcards)

nd
--
Flhacs wird im Usenet grundsätzlich alsfhc geschrieben. Schreibt man
lafhsc nicht slfach, so ist das schlichtweg hclafs. Hingegen darf man