Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2006/01/11 09:43:49 UTC

Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))

Tim Williams wrote:
> On 1/10/06, Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>Have you got the news sources in RSS? If so use the Feeder
>>>plugin/contract. (note that contract should now be moved to the feeder
>>>plugin since we now have that capability)
>>
>>No, the stories are just (hypothetically) Forrest internal document
>>format. In most sites I work on the most frequent content additions
>>are press releases, which can be in html, and which are then saved to
>>a 'news' directory.

Sounds to me like Forrest should be generating an RSS feed of these news
items. You could then leverage the feeder plugin for your home page
headlines, whilst you would also be able to provide feeds for external
sites.

Since RSS is a more widely adopted standard for this kind of thing I'd
recommend using creating a plugin that built the RSS feed rather than
the custom navigation.

>>The idea would be to get Forrest to manage the
>>links and possibly the archiving. Archiving in this sense would
>>consist purely of moving the link from a 'current' list to an
>>'archive' list.
>

> I like this idea and think it's related to what I was trying to do
> with the blog plugin -- use metadata to drive some of forrest's pages.

I actually have a use case for something like this - seems like we have
momentum (although, as ever little actual time).

>  I haven't read this whole thread so I may in fact be *way* off of

We should have changed the subject a couple of messages ago, you are
most likely up to speed, this emerged from the other thread but is quite
different.

> what you're talking about but I'm thinking you could do something like
> this:
> o) Add a metadata element called "expires":

other meta-data, such as keywords, summary and publication date could
also be used to good effect. But one at a time is a good idea ;-)

> o) Use the xpathdirectorygenerator against your news directory to see
> if it's "recent" or not.
>
> When  I get home and finish playing around with the photogallery
> plugin I'll get back to that blog one to try to finish it up as a good
> example of how to use metadata in a more powerful way in forrest -
> it's certainly not there yet.

Cool, hopefully Paul and I will be free to participate too.

Ross

Re: Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El mié, 11-01-2006 a las 23:21 +1300, Paul Bolger escribió:
>
>>>Sounds to me like Forrest should be generating an RSS feed of these news
>>>items. You could then leverage the feeder plugin for your home page
>>>headlines, whilst you would also be able to provide feeds for external
>>>sites.
>>>
>>>Since RSS is a more widely adopted standard for this kind of thing I'd
>>>recommend using creating a plugin that built the RSS feed rather than
>>>the custom navigation.
>>
>>This is getting away from my initial proposal somewhat, which was more
>>of a content indexer. Don't take that as too negative though: I'm
>>fully prepared to be convinced on this and I'm interested in being
>>part of the development process. I must admit that I'm a little hazy
>>about how RSS would work in this context.

>>>other meta-data, such as keywords, summary and publication date could
>>>also be used to good effect. But one at a time is a good idea ;-)
>>
>>The only problem with 'expires' is that - this is a real world
>>situation - everyone goes off on holidays and the news items all get
>>automatically killed. No news isn't good news if you have a space for
>>four items on your page! I'd prefer "the last four stories published".
>>I'm interested in how one would go about adding the extra metadata
>>element. Is it possible for the source doc to have an appended, or
>>extra,  DTD with custom elements?
>

> The biggest problem I see is that the provide functionality is a CMS
> feature. Forrest is not a CMS it is a renderer.

Hmmmm....

I see your point. The back-end CMS would be a better place to do this.
This is another good reason to do it with RSS feeds, which could be
provided by the CMS, rather than with Forrest itself.

But then again, deciding what to publish is the role of the publishin
engine.

The lines are blurred here, I do not see a clear distinction between
where publishing ends and where management begins.

I think it's a case of "have the itch? scratch it".

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mié, 11-01-2006 a las 23:21 +1300, Paul Bolger escribió:
> > Sounds to me like Forrest should be generating an RSS feed of these news
> > items. You could then leverage the feeder plugin for your home page
> > headlines, whilst you would also be able to provide feeds for external
> > sites.
> >
> > Since RSS is a more widely adopted standard for this kind of thing I'd
> > recommend using creating a plugin that built the RSS feed rather than
> > the custom navigation.
>
> This is getting away from my initial proposal somewhat, which was more
> of a content indexer. Don't take that as too negative though: I'm
> fully prepared to be convinced on this and I'm interested in being
> part of the development process. I must admit that I'm a little hazy
> about how RSS would work in this context.
>
> > > what you're talking about but I'm thinking you could do something like
> > > this:
> > > o) Add a metadata element called "expires":
> >
> > other meta-data, such as keywords, summary and publication date could
> > also be used to good effect. But one at a time is a good idea ;-)
>
> The only problem with 'expires' is that - this is a real world
> situation - everyone goes off on holidays and the news items all get
> automatically killed. No news isn't good news if you have a space for
> four items on your page! I'd prefer "the last four stories published".
> I'm interested in how one would go about adding the extra metadata
> element. Is it possible for the source doc to have an appended, or
> extra,  DTD with custom elements?

The biggest problem I see is that the provide functionality is a CMS
feature. Forrest is not a CMS it is a renderer.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Paul Bolger wrote:
>>RSS is a standard format fur such things. It lists content of a
>>particular type in a format that can be read by a large number of
>>clients, not just Forrest.
>

>>The idea would be create an RSS feed of all items, then use the feeder
>>plugin (with modifications) to return the top four items.
>

> Ok, I understand that. One point though: isn't converting the whole
> set of documents to RSS going to be a bit resource intensive?

By "all items" I meant "all news items". The amount of processing is no
greater than creating a custom navigation plugin. It's almost identical
except that I am proposing using a standard intermediate format (RSS) to
enable reuse in a broader set of use cases.

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.
> RSS is a standard format fur such things. It lists content of a
> particular type in a format that can be read by a large number of
> clients, not just Forrest.

> The idea would be create an RSS feed of all items, then use the feeder
> plugin (with modifications) to return the top four items.

Ok, I understand that. One point though: isn't converting the whole
set of documents to RSS going to be a bit resource intensive?

> If someone wants the expires meta-data then they can use it within the
> RSS generation, everything is optional ;-)
Just putting in a bid for what I'd find useful :)
> Our DTD's support meta-data elements, however, we do not (yet) handle
> meta-data well within Forrest.

Sounds like a goal for the XHTML2 translation... It would be good to
be able to add elements to source documents which could be used for
output processing.

Re: Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Paul Bolger wrote:
>>Sounds to me like Forrest should be generating an RSS feed of these news
>>items. You could then leverage the feeder plugin for your home page
>>headlines, whilst you would also be able to provide feeds for external
>>sites.
>>
>>Since RSS is a more widely adopted standard for this kind of thing I'd
>>recommend using creating a plugin that built the RSS feed rather than
>>the custom navigation.
>

> This is getting away from my initial proposal somewhat, which was more
> of a content indexer. Don't take that as too negative though: I'm
> fully prepared to be convinced on this and I'm interested in being
> part of the development process. I must admit that I'm a little hazy
> about how RSS would work in this context.

RSS is a standard format fur such things. It lists content of a
particular type in a format that can be read by a large number of
clients, not just Forrest.

>>>what you're talking about but I'm thinking you could do something like
>>>this:
>>>o) Add a metadata element called "expires":
>>
>>other meta-data, such as keywords, summary and publication date could
>>also be used to good effect. But one at a time is a good idea ;-)
>

> The only problem with 'expires' is that - this is a real world
> situation - everyone goes off on holidays and the news items all get
> automatically killed.
> No news isn't good news if you have a space for
> four items on your page! I'd prefer "the last four stories published".

So don't use it in your use case.

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Paul Bolger wrote:
> (ross)
>
>> This would be a good compliement to the Feeder plugin - but like Thorsten
>>obsered in earlier, we are getting dangerously close to doing things that a
>>CMS system should really be doing for us. This is a very grey area - I'm not
>>sure which side of the fence I sit on yet.
>

> I think it's a discussion well worth having. I suspect that it would
> be better, or more likely to succeed at any rate, to concentrate on
> developing useful applications for Forrest than getting too bogged
> down with semantics. Forrest can be a slippery fish when it comes down
> to defining exactly what it does. Maybe we should be running a list of
> possible use cases in the docs and trying to gauge what users actually
> want most. Personally good html site generation is a priority, but
> maybe Forrest's forte is something a bit less mainstream.

I agree it is a discussion worth having.

First, if Forrest decides that a particular feature does not "fit" with
the scope of Forrest, there is nothing to stop an external developer
building and hosting the plugin elsewhere. The question is not whether
it can be developed, rather whether the Forrest project should undertake
to maintain it.

The problem is, that if we accept too many CMS like plugins two things
happen:

1) we end up with loads of unsupported plugins because the original
creators find themselves busy with other things

2) we divert attention away from useful development of other features,
such as integration with more complete tools for the job in hand. For
example, too much focus on CMS-like features will reduce effort on true
CMS integration

Your idea of a list of use cases for us to examine is a good one. In the
past we have discussed the possaiblity of providing different seed sites
for different use cases. Such a document would help us to identify those
seed sites.

As for defining what Forrest does, we spent a long time working on the
short description of Forrest to try and make it clear. Problem is, most
people fail to see the real purpose, they just think of Forrest as a web
site generation tool.

I see it more as a data integration and publishing tool. Where the data
comes from and the form it is published in is not a concern of Forrest.
Forrest, provides a framework for fullfilling all collation and
publishing needs.

Now, to your use case:

You want to automatically create RSS feeds of content. These feeds will
show the date that items were added and short summaries.

It has been argued that this is a CMS problem. However, given that
Forrest integrates data from multiple sources we cannot rely on the CMS
since it may not be aware of some of the sources of data and therefore
cannot include them in the feed.

My conclusion is therefore that a RSS output plugin is in the scope of
Forrest.

WDOT?

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Helena
>  no original rss is used for rss output.
>  only original, local xml content.
Good, That sounds interesting. I don't suppose you could add a sample
xdoc with the relevant metadata included to the Jira issue. BTW, that
site of yours looks pretty good.

Posted by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com>.
Hi
My existing content is standard xdocs/*.xml files.
The rss data is generated from my xml meta-data for each article entry
by type,
Let me know if you need me to be more explicit.

best,
helena

--
Helena Edelson
GreenJaguar

Re: Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))

Posted by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com>.
Hi,
no original rss is used for rss output.
only original, local xml content.
sorry for any confusion.

helena

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Paul Bolger wrote:
>>The rss is from existing content as well as newly-published content.
>

> Can I just clarify, does the existing content have to be rss?

I'm not sure who wrote that or what the context was. I recall there were
a couple of solutions discussed in this thread. If the above quote is
mine please provide a memory jogger for me.

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com>.

Ross Gardler wrote:

> Helena Edelson wrote:
>

>> Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> [context: creating RSS feeds from Forrest content objects]
>>>
>>> Can you explain a little about how you create these feeds?

>> I set up my RSS pages rather simply by implementing 4 things:
>> 1. skin/....html/rss2document.xsl
>> 2. resources/stylesheets/feeds.xsl
>> 3. skinconf
>> 4. xmap
>

> So, if I understand correctly you are not creating RSS feeds from
> existing content, rather you are including RSS feeds within your site.
>
> Did you try the feeder plugin before doing this work? That plugin is a
> very simple rss input plugin.
>
> Would you like to contribute your ehancements to that plugin? Don't
> worry if you don't have the time to merge your work with the plugin
> code itself, simply open an issue and attach the feeds.xsl, details of
> any relevant skinconf.xml extensions and the relevant xmap snippets.
>
> That way we know the information is there and when someone has a
> strong enough itch they can scratch it using your code as a base.
>
> Ross

The rss is from existing content as well as newly-published content.
Have not tried feeder yet.

I'd be happy to contribute if it helps. I'll upload it later today.

Helena

Re: Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com>.

Ross Gardler wrote:

> Helena Edelson wrote:
>
>> I don't know if I can help but I have several content RSS feeds on
>> one of my forrest sites, http://summitjournal.com
>> it was really simple do customize.
>

> [please do not top post, it loses context and results in far too much
> content being duplicated between mails]
>
> [context: creating RSS feeds from Forrest content objects]
>
> Can you explain a little about how you create these feeds?
>
> Ross

Sorry, that was unintentional and it was 4am.

I set up my RSS pages rather simply by implementing 4 things:
1. skin/....html/rss2document.xsl
2. resources/stylesheets/feeds.xsl
3. skinconf
4. xmap

Steps:
1. I set a few attributes I would regularly need to change in skinconf
such as:
  <rss-updated>Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:25 GMT</rss-updated> since it isn't
updated daily and I don't want the rss bots and readers hitting my site
giving me unuseful info for my logs.
2. rss2document.xsl is right from the distribution
3. feeds.xsl is the template I use to pipe everything through - all
content feeds plus content channel feeds.
1. I set up a few variables to get data for the rss header info for
accurate content searches on the rss repositories
(i.e. people looking for content on syndic8 and so forth).
2. Make skinconf data accessible to feeds.xsl
3. In sitemap, I set the pipelines for all the iterations of rss files
to be created.
Only 2 variants for each pipeline are needed:
    1. Filename: such as news-feed.xml)
    2. The parameter(s) mapped from <map:resource> aggregator which
holds all articles data.

4. Feeds.xsl template
// forrest stuff
// rss stuff
    <rss version="2.0">
      <channel>
        <title/>
        <link/>
        <description/>
        <language/>
        <copyright/>
       <pubDate/>
        <lastBuildDate/>
        <category/>
        <ttl/>
        <image>
          <title/>
          <url/>
          <link/>
        </image>

// now get article data from xml data files based on the parameter(s) in
xmap

        <xsl:for-each select="">
          <item/>
            <title/>
             <link/>
            <guid/>
            <description/>
            <pubDate/>
          </item>
        </xsl:for-each>

      </channel>
    </rss>

Helena

Re: Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com>.

--
Helena Edelson