Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> on 2016/10/08 09:09:42 UTC

PSA: JIRA resolutions and meanings

That flood of emails means several people (Xiao, Holden mostly AFAICT) have
been updating the status of old JIRAs. Thank you, I think that really does
help.

I have a suggested set of conventions I've been using, just to bring some
order to the resolutions. It helps because JIRA functions as a huge archive
of decisions and the more accurately we can record that the better. What do
people think of this?

- Resolve as Fixed if there's a change you can point to that resolved the
issue
- If the issue is a proper subset of another issue, mark it a Duplicate of
that issue (rather than the other way around)
- If it's probably resolved, but not obvious what fixed it or when, then
Cannot Reproduce or Not a Problem
- Obsolete issue? Not a Problem
- If it's a coherent issue but does not seem like there is support or
interest in acting on it, then Won't Fix
- If the issue doesn't make sense (non-Spark issue, etc) then Invalid
- I tend to mark Umbrellas as "Done" when done if they're just containers
- Try to set Fix version
- Try to set Assignee to the person who most contributed to the resolution.
Usually the person who opened the PR. Strong preference for ties going to
the more 'junior' contributor

The only ones I think are sort of important are getting the Duplicate
pointers right, and possibly making sure that Fixed issues have a clear
path to finding what change fixed it and when. The rest doesn't matter much.

Re: PSA: JIRA resolutions and meanings

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.
That's awesome Sean, very clear.

One minor thing, noncommiters can't change assigned field as far as I know.

On Oct 9, 2016 3:40 AM, "Sean Owen" <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:

I added a variant on this text to https://cwiki.apache.org/
confluence/display/SPARK/Contributing+to+Spark#ContributingtoSpark-
ContributingtoJIRAMaintenance

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.
Cool, I'll start going through stuff as I have time.  Already closed
one, if anyone sees a problem let me know.

Still think it would be nice to have some way to make it obvious to
the people who have the will and knowledge to do it that it's ok for
them to do it :)

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Sean Owen! Your guideline looks pretty good. I will try to
follow it when closing the JIRAs. Please correct me if you found
anything is not appropriate.

Actually, the unresolved SQL JIRAs has almost 1000. Compared with the
other components, I think SQL might be the biggest one. I will try to
go over all of them at my best. Then, maybe the other Committers and
contributors can go over the still-open JIRAs again and see whether
some of them should be closed or resolved in the next releases.

In the future, personally, I will try to do it whenever I am free.
Hopefully, it can help the community.

BTW, since I started joining the Spark community, I already realized
Sean Owen, Reynold Xin, Yin Huai are doing it on a regular basis. I
believe most appreciate their contribution to the community. Here, I
just want to say thank you to them: THANK YOU!

Cheers,

Xiao

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
I know what you mean Ted, and I think actually what's happening here is
fine, but I'll explain my theory.

There are a range of actions in the project where someone makes a decision,
from answering an email to creating a release. We already accept that only
some of these require a formal status; anyone can answer emails, but only
the PMC can bless a release, for example.

The reason commits and releases require a certain status is not _entirely_
to block most people from participating in these activities. It's in part
because things the ASF's liability protections for releases depend on the
existence of well-defined governance models, that wouldn't quite be
compatible with anyone adding software at will.

Issue management isn't in this category, and, of course, we let anyone make
JIRAs and PRs. This causes problems occasionally but is on the whole
powerfully good. So, it seems reasonable to let people close JIRAs if, in
good faith, they have clear reason to do so. These things are reversible,
too. I also think there's a cost to not getting this triage work done, just
as there would be a cost to blocking people from creating issues.

I've reviewed the cleanup in the past 24 hours and agree with virtually
every action, so I have confidence that in practice this is a big positive.

That said, I have suggested in the past that perhaps only committers should
set "Blocker" and "Target Version", because this communicates something
specific about what will be committed and in what release, and acting on
those requires commit access. Although by the theory above we should let
anyone set these -- and actually, we do -- I have found it usually set
incorrectly, and so, argue that these fields should be treated differently
as a matter of convention.

Sean

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

--