Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Adam Jack <aj...@mric.coop> on 2005/04/15 18:06:59 UTC

Gump3 : Annotate and Build

[Not that I'll have time over the next few days, but maybe within the next
week, but ...] I'd like to work towards getting some things built w/ Gump3,
by working on two plug-ins, (or one with two modes). The first will "lay out
the plan", constructing classpaths and such, and recording these decisions
onto the model. This could be a pre-process visitor. The second will
leverage that information in order to perform the build (a process visitor.)

The reason for the split (if not obvious) would be that we can view/test the
"build plan" w/o having to run it. Also, it ought be easier to handle cases
where we wish to "copy the jars from that project", but then "break"
dependency links. Splitting this into two ought allow us more flexibility.

Seem about right?

regards,

Adam

P.S. Sooner or later I'll just commit something, honest. ;-)

Re: Gump3 : Annotate and Build

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 15-04-2005 18:06, "Adam  Jack" <aj...@mric.coop> wrote:
> [Not that I'll have time over the next few days, but maybe within the next
> week, but ...] I'd like to work towards getting some things built w/ Gump3,

Kewl!

> by working on two plug-ins, (or one with two modes). The first will "lay out
> the plan", constructing classpaths and such, and recording these decisions
> onto the model. This could be a pre-process visitor. The second will
> leverage that information in order to perform the build (a process visitor.)
>
> The reason for the split (if not obvious) would be that we can view/test the
> "build plan" w/o having to run it. Also, it ought be easier to handle cases
> where we wish to "copy the jars from that project", but then "break"
> dependency links. Splitting this into two ought allow us more flexibility.
>
> Seem about right?

I would say: think smaller! The first plugin might be about "constructing
classpaths for ant-based projects and recording those decisions onto the
model", the next one might do that for maven1, the next one for maven two,
then one that does some of that "and such" bits. Then you might have an ant
plugin that invokes ant, a maven plugin that invokes maven, etc etc. Small
steps, small steps :-D

Other than that,  go for it, have fun :-D

> P.S. Sooner or later I'll just commit something, honest. ;-)

Hehehe. I just added a MkdirBuilderPlugin you might want to look at (or
improve on). Probably the simplest bit of building that's "out there" ;)

Cheers,

Leo