Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by chris brown <de...@reflexe.fr> on 2001/04/18 17:15:57 UTC

Newbie question : root login via Telnet

Hi,

I've just installed James 1.2.1, and all seems to have gone well, except for
one problem: I can't login to the Remote Admin Tool via Telnet using the
parameters that I've defined in JAMES.conf.xml.

So far, I've defined my host name, postmaster address, DNS server, and the
default admin account (nothing else changed).

The exact line I've provided is:
<account login="root" password="test"/>

I can connect to the Remote Admin Tool using Telnet (on localhost:4555),
which gives me the following welcome message:
JAMES RemoteAdministration Tool 1.2.1rc2
Please enter your login and password

I enter it as described, but always get the message "login failed for root".
I've tried all sorts of variations in what I type in the console and in the
values in the <account ...> XML element, but have had no luck.  I've even
read the documentation and not got very far either...

Many thanks,
Chris Brown