Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Yuri Pradkin <yu...@isi.edu> on 2008/04/02 22:29:45 UTC

secondary namenode web interface

Hi,

I'm running Hadoop (latest snapshot) on several machines and in our setup namenode
and secondarynamenode are on different systems.  I see from the logs than secondary
namenode regularly checkpoints fs from primary namenode.

But when I go to the secondary namenode HTTP (dfs.secondary.http.address) in
my browser I see something like this:

	HTTP ERROR: 500
	init
	RequestURI=/dfshealth.jsp
	Powered by Jetty://

And in secondary's log I find these lines:

2008-04-02 11:26:25,357 WARN /: /dfshealth.jsp:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.dfshealth_jsp.<init>(dfshealth_jsp.java:21)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:539)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Holder.newInstance(Holder.java:199)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.getServlet(ServletHolder.java:326)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:405)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.dispatch(WebApplicationHandler.java:475)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:567)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1565)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.handle(WebApplicationContext.java:635)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1517)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.service(HttpConnection.java:814)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handleNext(HttpConnection.java:981)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:831)
        at org.mortbay.http.SocketListener.handleConnection(SocketListener.java:244)
        at org.mortbay.util.ThreadedServer.handle(ThreadedServer.java:357)
        at org.mortbay.util.ThreadPool$PoolThread.run(ThreadPool.java:534)

Is something missing from my configuration?  Anybody else seen these?

Thanks,

  -Yuri

Re: secondary namenode web interface

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Unfortunately we do not have an api for the secondary nn that would allow browsing the checkpoint.
I agree it would be nice to have one.
Thanks for filing the issue.
--Konstantin

Posted by Yuri Pradkin <yu...@isi.edu>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Yuri,

The NullPointerException should be fixed as Dhruba proposed.
We do not have any secondary nn web interface as of today.
The http server is used for transferring data between the primary and the secondary.
I don't see we can display anything useful on the secondary web UI except for the
current status, config values, and the last checkpoint date/time.

Posted by Yuri Pradkin <yu...@isi.edu>.

Posted by Yuri Pradkin <yu...@isi.edu>.