Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Cayetano Gómez <ca...@svtcloud.com> on 2016/10/26 09:15:04 UTC

'$' chra in password.

I have a problem using '$' char into  password to access guacamole.

IF you use, in logon to web interface, '$' in any position of a
password, the logon process is reject to "incorrect password"

Using xml backend or Mysq Backend.

� any idea ?

Regards, and ... sorry, I have a bad english

--

SVTCloud <http://www.svtcloud.com>

Cayetano G\u221a\u2265mez / Director de Operaciones
cayetano@svtcloud.com <ma...@svtcloud.com>/ +34 606 57 3333

SVTCloud
902 602 015
Parque Cient\u221a\u2260fico y Tecnol\u221a\u2265gico Agroalimentario de Lleida Edificio H1
2pta 25003 Lleida
http://www.svtcloud.com

Este mensaje y la documentaci\u221a\u2265n unida a ella como anexo se dirige
exclusivamente a su destinatario. Se informa a quien reciba por error
este correo que su lectura, copia y uso est\u221a�n prohibidos, toda vez que
contiene INFORMACI\u221a�N CONFIDENCIAL sometida a secreto profesional, cuya
divulgaci\u221a\u2265n est\u221a� prohibida por la ley. Le pedimos que si lo ha
recibido por error nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma v\u221a\u2260a a
la direcci\u221a\u2265n svtcloud@svtcloud.com o por tel\u221a�fono (902 602 015),
absteni\u221a�ndose de realizar copias del mensaje, enviarlo o entregarlo a
otra persona, procediendo a eliminarlo inmediatamente.

Re: '$' chra in password.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Nov 7, 2016 5:59 PM, "Shanon Loughton" <sl...@cloudmine.net.au>
wrote:

> I think I observed something similar when dealing with hard coding the
password in the XML files, both noauth-config.xml and user-mapping.xml and
for RDP connections.

> The work around was to escape the $ character, and possibly other
characters too.

> ie  <param name="password" value="foo\$bar@123" />
>
> What happens when you escape \$ character entry in the web interface?

Hi Shanon,

It shouldn't be necessary to escape the '$' in either case, unless it is
used in the same format as a parameter token ("${arbitrary text}"), in
which case the escape pattern is to repeat the '$' ("$${arbitrary text}").

Even then, however, it's virtually never required. The substitution will
only occur if the ${...} pattern fully matches (both braces are present,
not just the '$'), *and* the name of the token (the next within the braces)
is the name of a defined token.

In practice, this means that the '$' in a parameter value needs only be
escaped if it is part of the following substrings, and is intended to be
interpreted literally (not automatically substituted at all):

${GUAC_USERNAME}
${GUAC_PASSWORD}

And, as of current git:

${GUAC_DATE}
${GUAC_TIME}

See:
http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#parameter-tokens

For XML, you would of course also need to escape characters which have
special meaning to XML (like '&'), but that is not Guacamole-specific. As
long as your XML is valid, you should be OK.

For the database auth, and for both XML-driven extensions, backslashes in
values have no special meaning will be interpreted as literal backslashes.
In fact, with the exception of parameter tokens, absolutely all characters
are interpreted literally.

Thanks,

- Mike

Re: '$' chra in password.

Posted by Shanon Loughton <sl...@cloudmine.net.au>.
I think I observed something similar when dealing with hard coding the
password in the XML files, both noauth-config.xml and user-mapping.xml and
for RDP connections.

The work around was to escape the $ character, and possibly other
characters too.

ie  <param name="password" value="foo\$bar@123" />

What happens when you escape \$ character entry in the web interface?

Hope that helps
Shanon

*Shanon Loughton*
phone +61 (0) 412 584 142
email  sloughton@cloudmine.net.au
web
*www.cloudmine.net.au <http://www.cloudmine.net.au>*skype cgltower
twitter @cloudmine_shan,@minefromwhereva

Re: '$' chra in password.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Re: '$' chra in password.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
Hello Cayetano and Maxime,

I cannot reproduce this issue as described. Testing against current
Guacamole from git master, I tried the following:

1) Created a user "test" with password "foo$bar@123" (no connections).

    Logging into Guacamole: success

2) Created a new connection, "Test", configured to use RDP to connect to a
Windows 2008 server. A Windows user account with identical credentials was
created ("test" / "foo@bar@123"), with those credentials explicitly
specified in the connection parameters.

    Logging into Guacamole: success
    Connecting to the RDP server: success

3) Edited the "Test" connection, replacing the explicitly-specified
username and password with "${GUAC_USERNAME}" and "${GUAC_PASSWORD}"
respectively.

    Logging into Guacamole: success
    Connecting to the RDP server: success

Are you positive that the password was not simply misentered?

- Mike

Re: '$' chra in password.

Posted by Maxime De Cuypere <je...@gmail.com>.