Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Senthil Sivasubramanian S <Se...@elind.com> on 2004/11/03 10:41:01 UTC

RollingFileAppender problem

I am logging XML data using RollingFileAppender at daily intervals:

    <!-- XA is set to be a FileAppender for XML -->
    <appender name="XA" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">
        <File value="C:\\Applogs\\FixMarketDataData.xml" />
        <!-- Daily Rollover -->
        <DatePattern value="yyyy-MM-dd" />
        <!-- XA uses XMLLayout -->
        <layout type="log4net.Layout.XMLLayout">
             <!-- <LocationInfo value='true' /> -->
         </layout>
    </appender>

Due to very high rate of data transfer in the application, the file size
can grow upto 40, 50 Mb during the day. Usually everything is working
fine with this daily rollover logging. But rarely (like once or twice in
a week) I notice that the logfile gets itself truncated and the logging
has resumed sometime during the middle of the day. (I have ensured that
there was no Application restart when this logfile truncation has
apparently happened.) This random behaviour leads to a huge loss of
debug information.

I am using log4net 1.2.0 Beta 6.

Is this a known problem with this version of log4net?
Can you suggest how can I go about solving this issue.

Thanks.

Senthil SS.
Techspan (India) Ltd.