Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/12 05:05:34 UTC

CMake? (was Re: Podling report March 2014)

(Thread subject changed as we've now definitely veered away from
report concerns...)

> If CMAKE and Windows is the more problematic candidate than we should
> start with this first, we won't gain anything if you succeed with a
> replacement for autotools only. :-)

Quite true.  On the Un*x side, autotools is quite sufficient.

A cursory SO search says that people seem to like CMake for Visual
Studio project generation:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/395169/using-cmake-to-generate-visual-studio-c-project-files

> Btw, I had a look at cppTasks some days ago again and using maven it
> at least properly built out of the box, therefore fixing some bugs
> seems possible now.

Great news!

> Doesn't change anything on the distribution part
> though, it couldn't be used by maven out of the box and such.

Drat!

> I would still try to spent some hours to fix the warnings for Visual
> Studio and maybe the bugs for my own compiler, see how this is going
> and else would give CMAKE a try as well. Or should we focus on CMAKES
> at all first?

Hmm... a first step is probably to pick up a CMake-based project to
see if you Windows-lovin' log4cxx developers can successfully build
that project within your IDE/compiler of choice.  For Visual Studio
this may provide an overview:
http://cognitivewaves.wordpress.com/cmake-and-visual-studio/

If y'all evaluate CMake in that context and find it acceptable, then
we could discuss moving over the next release in earnest.

One Un*x-friendly CMake project of which I am aware is Eigen
(http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/).  If another project to use for the
evaluation doesn't jump out at you, I'd suggest giving Eigen a shot.
Their support lists are quite good and I've lurked there for years if
you encounter troubles that you can't get past.

All that said, we do seem to be stuck on this cross-platform build
system issue and other than Ant+cpptasks (which is less than
satisfactory), only CMake comes to my mind as an alternative.  Let's
collectively marinate on the idea, work to push out a dot release in
the meantime as log4cxx sorely needs one regardless of build hiccups,
solicit input from our mentoring overlords (Christian?  Any old posse
lurkers?), and concoct a formal plan after we get a dot release out.

- Rhys

Re: CMake? (was Re: Podling report March 2014)

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fs...@apache.org>.
On 12.03.2014 09:05, Thorsten Schöning wrote:

> Is there currently anything which blocks a new release?

maybe having jira aligned with?

(ok - it's not a technical issue, but having no visibility on the
incoming version, with all tickets badly tagged sounds bad to me)

--
flo

Re: CMake? (was Re: Podling report March 2014)

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Rhys Ulerich,
am Mittwoch, 12. März 2014 um 05:05 schrieben Sie:

> Let's
> collectively marinate on the idea, work to push out a dot release in
> the meantime as log4cxx sorely needs one regardless of build
> hiccups[...]

Is there currently anything which blocks a new release? You created a
bug recently, I have one open which seems to be easy to fix and
everything else don't seem to be maintenance at all. Sounds like we
"just" need to take the effort to push a release with all the
incubator things to recognize.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--