Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by "Davydenko, Denis" <dz...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/22 18:04:03 UTC

Proposal: Apache MXNet user group meetings

Hello, Apache MXNet community,

I would like to submit for your consideration updated and improved suggestion for Apache MXNet User Groups meetings: [1]. Main goals of this initiative are:

- make it easy: users and developers should be able to understand what is Group Meeting and how to participate in it in under 60 seconds

- make it real: users and developers will have access to Apache MXNet committers and contributors live and can discuss their topics in person

- make it scalable: it should be easy for Apache MXNet community members to join initiative and host more User Groups meetings on their own schedule

- make it fun: there should be minimal process to run User Groups meetings

Please note this wiki page’s purpose is to introduce and describe initiative for Apache MXNet community and seek improvements/changes suggestions. User facing document will be separate and will only contain short paragraph on what is User Group meetings are and how to participate (see above: user should be able to understand it in under 60 seconds).

There were couple quite successful pilot sessions hosted by group of Apache MXNet developers in Berlin. Users clearly likes this channel of communication and this initiative is an effort to streamline it for bigger user participation.

Also, we are looking to add small reference to User Groups meetings into Apache MXNet documentation to bring user awareness up.

[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=87299820

Denis

Re: Proposal: Apache MXNet user group meetings

Posted by Ivan Serdyuk <lo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:04 PM Davydenko, Denis <
dzianis.davydzenka@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Apache MXNet community,

Hello.

> I would like to submit for your consideration updated and improved
> suggestion for Apache MXNet User Groups meetings: [1]. Main goals of this
> initiative are:
>
> - make it easy: users and developers should be able to understand what is
> Group Meeting and how to participate in it in under 60 seconds

Maybe.

> - make it real: users and developers will have access to Apache MXNet
> committers and contributors live and can discuss their topics in person

OK

> - make it scalable: it should be easy for Apache MXNet community members
> to join initiative and host more User Groups meetings on their own schedule

Well, we can do something for hosting such in Ukraine - but that is a
pretty good question: why would they go to Ukraine, from nearby countries
(considering that local developers/engineers could be interested by
default)? I as for local attendees - I might assume that they might even be
interested to come to Germany, cause of that (for a week, for instance -
and come to your local office).

> - make it fun: there should be minimal process to run User Groups meetings

Which would not be supported by Amazon? How do you imagine that?

> Please note this wiki page’s purpose is to introduce and describe
> initiative for Apache MXNet community and seek improvements/changes
> suggestions.

We might provide contributors, for composing this in Russian and Ukrainian,
too.

> User facing document will be separate and will only contain short
> paragraph on what is User Group meetings are and how to participate (see
> above: user should be able to understand it in under 60 seconds).

OK, that is predictable.

> There were couple quite successful pilot sessions hosted by group of
> Apache MXNet developers in Berlin. Users clearly likes this channel of
> communication and this initiative is an effort to streamline it for bigger
> user participation.

You can improve that by either switching audio/video streaming software -
either using zoom/bluejeans/hangouts/... via round robin or providing
streaming for few services (at once - say, people could chose bet. chime
and zoom). I am able to find sponsors for commercial accounts for such
software - as also as for covering the costs of the hardware setup (within
the MXNet hours hosting location, to stream audio/video online). So those
options would be added to what AWS would support.

> Also, we are looking to add small reference to User Groups meetings into
> Apache MXNet documentation to bring user awareness up.

I am running a user group's page on Facebook and could share something on
meetup.com. I could assist.

Re: Proposal: Apache MXNet user group meetings

Posted by Denis Davydenko <dz...@gmail.com>.
Good catch, Chris! Will update it tomorrow.

Denis

On Aug 22, 2018, at 7:57 PM, Chris Olivier <cj...@gmail.com> wrote:

The wiki lists 2111 Univ Ave, East Palo Alto, which is a body shop and/or
pharmacy across the street from the Amazon building, which is at 2100 Univ
Ave.

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.