Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/12 22:53:56 UTC

error - "Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response."

Hello,

Got this error today and I have not been able to detect what is wrong.

[Mon May 12 11:30:49 2008] [error] [client 192.xx.xx.xx] Provider
encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [400, #0]

In this particular case, it happened when checking out the repository using
TortoiseSVN. The checkout stops with a "Connection timeout". And at that
time I see the above message in the apache error_log.

This is not reproducible. Sometimes it goes through just fine. And when it
does fail, a subsequent update starts updating the directory where it had
just failed with the Connection timeout error.

After doing some googling, it seems like the issue might be with Apache/APR.
However, I am not completely sure what the solution is.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Can you please suggest a solution?

svn server - 1.4.2
clients - all 1.4.x (ranging from 1.4.2 to 1.4.6)
apache - 2.2.3
apr - 1.2.7
server os - centos5

Thanks much!
-Hari

Re: error - "Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response."

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 6:01 AM, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Hari Kodungallur
> <hk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Got this error today and I have not been able to detect what is wrong.
> >
> > [Mon May 12 11:30:49 2008] [error] [client 192.xx.xx.xx] Provider
> > encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [400, #0]
> >
> > In this particular case, it happened when checking out the repository
> using
> > TortoiseSVN. The checkout stops with a "Connection timeout". And at that
> > time I see the above message in the apache error_log.
> >
> > This is not reproducible. Sometimes it goes through just fine. And when
> it
> > does fail, a subsequent update starts updating the directory where it
> had
> > just failed with the Connection timeout error.
> >
> > After doing some googling, it seems like the issue might be with
> Apache/APR.
> > However, I am not completely sure what the solution is.
> >
> > Has anyone encountered this issue before? Can you please suggest a
> solution?
> >
> > svn server - 1.4.2
> > clients - all 1.4.x (ranging from 1.4.2 to 1.4.6)
> > apache - 2.2.3
> > apr - 1.2.7
> > server os - centos5
>
> I just got this as well last night. I'm running (on the server) Win2K
> SP4, SVN 1.2.3 (yes, I know it's not supported), Apache 2.055, with
> whatever APR that version of SVN came with in the Win32 installer.
>
> The contents of the repository URL I was checking out were about
> 550MB, mostly contained in about 900 PDF files. The checkout failed
> less than halfway through; when I did an svn up on the WC, it
> completed successfully. This is part of an automated build/deploy
> process for a J2EE app; fortunately, because the checkout failed, the
> build tool (Anthill) didn't remove the previous version, so we never
> went offline.

Similar issue for me as well. The checkout fails in a directory that
contains thousands of image files. And similarly, the problem is with the
script that pushes the updates to website. This script sometimes has to do a
clean checkout and that is when the issues pops up.

Until I can get to fix this, I have 'solved' it by also starting svnserve so
the repo can be accessed using svn://. There are no issues accessing it
through svn:// and so quite likely the issue lies in apache/apr.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:49 AM, John Peacock
<jo...@havurah-software.org> wrote:
> Andy Levy wrote:
>
> > I've seen http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#tiger-apr-0.9.6 but
> > I'm not running Tiger (nor is Hari). I do have plans to migrate this
> > repository to a Win2K3 server once SVN 1.5 is released, and do the
> > migration & upgrade simultaneously.
> >

>  I have to say that you may find the performance with Win2k3 to be poorer
> than with a *nix based server (I'm including O/S X in this category, being
> that it is BSD-like).  I'm not saying that it won't work, merely that there
> is a lot more historical tuning experience with Apache under *nix than under
> Windows.

Understood, but at the time I brought SVN into the company, the extent
of the company's Linux experience was being able to spell "Linux" and
I wasn't interested in becoming the lone server admin for it.
Performance has been acceptable for us. Today, we have some more Linux
experience in-house, but we already have a VM allocated to the "new"
Win2K3 server (I started putting new repositories on it a year ago, I
just have my original repository which needs to be migrated to it) and
I just don't have the time to pull an OS switch on top of the upgrade
and repository migration.

> > Until that day comes, is this checkout failure something I can expect
> > every time, or will it be intermittent?
> >

>  If you are indeed tripping over the same issue mentioned in the FAQ, then
> you will only see it sometimes.  It seems to depend heavily on the size of
> the files being transferred (and possibly the load on the server).
>
>  APR 0.9.6 is *really* old at this point, so if Subversion 1.5 was built vs
> Apache 2.2.x/APR 1.2.x, this problem may just go away completely. There is
> also the factor that 1.5 includes a completely different client-side webdav
> client (serf) which is experimental, but intended to much better at such
> streamy traffic.

If I need to upgrade to Apache 2.2 to get up to APR 1.2, I'll do that
upgrade along with my SVN 1.5 upgrade.

Re: error - "Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response."

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Andy Levy wrote:
> I've seen http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#tiger-apr-0.9.6 but
> I'm not running Tiger (nor is Hari). I do have plans to migrate this
> repository to a Win2K3 server once SVN 1.5 is released, and do the
> migration & upgrade simultaneously.

I have to say that you may find the performance with Win2k3 to be poorer
than with a *nix based server (I'm including O/S X in this category,
being that it is BSD-like).  I'm not saying that it won't work, merely
that there is a lot more historical tuning experience with Apache under
*nix than under Windows.

> Until that day comes, is this checkout failure something I can expect
> every time, or will it be intermittent?

If you are indeed tripping over the same issue mentioned in the FAQ,
then you will only see it sometimes.  It seems to depend heavily on the
size of the files being transferred (and possibly the load on the server).

APR 0.9.6 is *really* old at this point, so if Subversion 1.5 was built
vs Apache 2.2.x/APR 1.2.x, this problem may just go away completely.
There is also the factor that 1.5 includes a completely different
client-side webdav client (serf) which is experimental, but intended to
much better at such streamy traffic.

HTH

John

Re: error - "Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response."

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.