Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org> on 2016/12/28 03:51:56 UTC

Jira to Github

We talked about transitioning over to GitHub at the last summit and talking to other people in the ATS Community I think it would be a good time to move over to Github for our ticket tracking for the new year, starting 1/1/2017.

The main reason for switching to completely to Github is to remove the need to create and manage Jira accounts.  We have seen an uptake in the number of external contributions after moving to Github and would like to continue this trend by removing any hurdles in the process.  We would also like to have one tool for creating and managing Pull Requests and Issues.

Jira will become read only and all new comments on tickets should be made on new Github Issues or Pull Requests.  Please reference the Jira Ticket when applicable.

New Process:
	1. If there is an issue/feature, an existing Jira Ticket, and no code, then create a Github Issue.  Copy the relevant information into the Github Issue and request the Jira Ticket to be closed.  Hopefully this use case won’t happen very often.
	2. If there is an issue/feature and no code, then create a Github Issue.  When there is code later, create a Github Pull Request and reference the Github Issue.
	3. If there is an issue/feature and code, then create a Github Pull Request.  If there is an existing Jira Ticket or Github Issue refer to the Ticket or Issue in the Pull Request.  Creating a Github Issue is not required for a Github Pull request.

-Bryan