Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Curtis Spencer <th...@gmail.com> on 2004/07/25 23:28:27 UTC

Enforcing Line Ending on the Server

After doing some reading about the line endings issue, it seems like
the solution involves changing the client side config in
$HOME/.subversion/config to contain svn:eol-style entries for all the
files.  However, this seems cumbersome in that I would have to teach
every new developer coming onto my project about this convention.  Is
there a way to ensure that the server will take care of this,
realizing that a windows client is connecting and switching the EOL to
CRLF and likewise doing the same for a UNIX client.  If not, it seems
one new windows user could wreak havoc on the line endings if they
just begin using the repository.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Curtis

Re: Enforcing Line Ending on the Server

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 02:46, Curtis Spencer wrote:
> Do you mean that /etc/subversion settings will propagate to all
> clients connecting to the server

No, there is no way for a server to 'broadcast' run-time settings to a
client.  Not yet.

Re: Enforcing Line Ending on the Server

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Curtis Spencer wrote:

>Do you mean that /etc/subversion settings will propagate to all
>clients connecting to the server (btw I use the apache webdav server
>model).  Ie. I would like to have an xml files with native line
>endings.  Would putting that in /etc/subversion accomplish this?

No, it only works for clients that are on that platform. Meaning if your
SVN users were all using a particular Linux or Unix machine, putting the
settings in /etc/subversion would affect all clients on that workstation
only. But then if someone accessed from somewhere else, say a Windows
box or a different Unix server, it wouldn't work.

Re: Enforcing Line Ending on the Server

Posted by Curtis Spencer <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.

Posted by Bryan Donlan <bd...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:28:27 -0700, Curtis Spencer <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After doing some reading about the line endings issue, it seems like
> the solution involves changing the client side config in
> $HOME/.subversion/config to contain svn:eol-style entries for all the
> files.  However, this seems cumbersome in that I would have to teach
> every new developer coming onto my project about this convention.  Is
> there a way to ensure that the server will take care of this,
> realizing that a windows client is connecting and switching the EOL to
> CRLF and likewise doing the same for a UNIX client.  If not, it seems
> one new windows user could wreak havoc on the line endings if they
> just begin using the repository.
> Any ideas?

Set svn:eol-style to native on all text files. The autoprops in
$HOME/.subversion/config are just a convenience to set a property when
a file is added - once it's in the repo they are irrelevant. If a new
text file is added without svn:eol-style, you can set svn:eol-style
later.

See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3.5
for more details on svn:eol-style.

--