Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ian Stuart <Ia...@ed.ac.uk> on 2002/08/14 11:54:34 UTC

Re: Virtual Hosting ??

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 10:23, G the B wrote:
At the office we have three servers. SERVER 1 runs a http server for our
web site on the port 80.
SERVER 2  runs a http server for the webmail (lotus domino). The webmail
server is at the moment not accessible from the web. I would like to
make it accessible.
In the rules of the main firewall that protects the LAN it is said that
when an icoming connection comes on the port 80 it is forwarded to
SERVER 1.

Exp: When from your web browser you type  www.domain.be  you get on the
web site (on SERVER 1)
Now we would like that when we type from outside the LAN  for example
mail.domain.be  we get a web page with the webmail server (only for the
employees of the company).

The easy answer (short on the nitty-gritty) is to set up www.domain.de
to do proxy-ing, and to make mail.domain.de a virtual host within it
(make mail.domain.de another DNS alias for whatever www.domain.de is
alias'd to. ie www.domain.de -> server43.domain.de && mail.domain.de ->
erver43.domain.de. [You have set up wwww.domain.de as an alias, not an
actual host name, haven't you?])

Thus, when a request comes in for mail.domain.de, it goes to the same
physical server as www.domain.de. The server recognises mail.domain.de
as a virual host, so uses the vhost config - which includes a proxy
command for webmail.domain.de.

Kinda like this:
<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4> # using IP, see dns-caveats.html manual page
    ServerAdmin mail.admin@domain.de
    ServerName mail.domain.de
    ErrorLog /path/mail_error_log
    CustomLog /path/mail_access_log common
    ProxyPass / http://webmail.domain.de/
    #
    # webmail.domain.de is a seperate httpd
    #
    ProxyPassReverse / http://webmail.domain.de/
</VirtualHost>

If you want access to an internal-only web server called mail.domain.de
using an external address of mail.domain.de, you'll need to do stuff
with the firewall - which is a different problem.

NOTE: This has made no attempt to authenticate that the person trying to
access the mail server is a valid user - that is a whole other problem
:)

--
--==++
Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
              -- Mary.

 Personal web site: http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/

Re: Virtual Hosting ??

Posted by Glen Lee Edwards <gl...@fcwm.org>.
Ian,

I'm not familiar with lotus domino.  I'm using TWIG.  It's running off
the web server, but is configured so that it accesses the mail off the
mail server through the LAN (IMAP).  This way I only need to set up one
web server.

Glen